RED-Z06

3 point on a 702...

RED-Z06

Guy is giving me this manual sears 3pt setup..i wonder if, using the lower hinge pin and long frame axle mounts (like for a plow mount), i could fab up a way to mount this in a short frame round hood?  Wouldn't so much be functional...maybe if i found a small 3pt plow or 1 gang disc...or cultivator.

But it would be different..

20240130_161345.jpg

5918_l.jpg

3ptsears.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

kpinnc

Thought about this a few times myself. It's definitely doable. And it will pick up more than you might think. 

Likely have to modify the lift arm, and shorten the lift links a bit. 

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, kpinnc said:

Thought about this a few times myself. It's definitely doable. And it will pick up more than you might think. 

Likely have to modify the lift arm, and shorten the lift links a bit. 

Could probably utilize the 2 bolts for the seat/tool box as well for upper support 

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Could probably utilize the 2 bolts for the seat/tool box as well for upper support 

Exactly what I was gonna type.  

5 hours ago, kpinnc said:

definitely doable.

Agreed 

• Like 1

Pullstart

Custom lifts rock!  This green one needs to be cut apart if ever to be to be removed from Justin (Case)

3C57BB8A-DDB8-4FFE-8AD1-36D13412EBBD.jpeg

03F75ED3-F624-4268-A257-398F1294FB1A.jpeg

B8F1CE6C-32F7-45A1-9681-B57DB65B54EA.jpeg

• Like 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

:text-yeahthat:

Fabricate a plate to replicate the back of the Craftsman using the 3/4" hitch pin and the tool box/seat bolts and it should be a done deal.    :woohoo:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Sailman

I have seen 2 wheel horses that were for sale with the craftsman 3 pt set up. One was a round hood. Should be pretty doable.

• Excellent 1

RED-Z06

I took my spare plow/tiller mount and welded the broken bar, cleaned it up, put some thin rubber pads on the axle mounts so i don't mar the paint during fitting.  It went on fine.  I had an aluminum bar thats too small but perfect for proof of concept.  This will work for lower pivots.  Now i need to get some plate for the top section and some bar, longer bolts for the underseat upper support.  Then ill bring down a kicker to the axle brackets from the plate for lower supports, welding that in, the 3pt arms can be removed by unpinning the rod underneath, and unpinninf the lift arms.  The whole assembly could be removed by unbolting the seat mount and dropping the axle brackets.  Once i get the 5/8" bar/rod ill weld washers to locate it in the axle brackets so id only need to drill the ends for a pin.

20240202_150018.jpg

20240202_150012.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

RED-Z06

Got the steel in, 2" wide 1/4" thick hot rolled bar, and 12x8x1/4 plate.  Made an upper support held in by the seat spring bolts (longer and grade 8), then welded the plate to the upper mount and eyeballed an angle for it.  Then welded the lower supports to the plow mounts.  It is removable, its tricky...you drop the 4 bolts out the plow mounts, remove the upper support bolts, slip the seat spring forward some and then tilt the seat/box back some, then it lifts away.  Goes on in about 3 minutes.  

My geometry on the breakover was off, figured it would be, wont be able to use the  plow mounts to hold the lift arms, im going to have to weld some pins to the lower supports, however...the lift handle is perfectly aligned and comes down about 1.5" off the right fender.

20240214_153723.jpg

20240214_153729.jpg

20240214_153738.jpg

20240214_155646.jpg

20240214_155651.jpg

20240214_155656.jpg

20240214_161542.jpg

20240214_161554.jpg

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Excellent 6

kpinnc
3 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Got the steel in, 2" wide 1/4" thick hot rolled bar, and 12x8x1/4 plate.  Made an upper support held in by the seat spring bolts (longer and grade 8), then welded the plate to the upper mount and eyeballed an angle for it.

Looks great so far! I like the way you tie in at top and bottom on the tranny! :thumbs:

You may want to add a couple gussets on the lower tabs. Not sure how much weight you'll be pulling, but it would help against side loads for sure. 

• Like 2

RED-Z06
3 minutes ago, kpinnc said:

Looks great so far! I like the way you tie in at top and bottom on the tranny! :thumbs:

You may want to add a couple gussets on the lower tabs. Not sure how much weight you'll be pulling, but it would help against side loads for sure. 

Im probably just going to get a middle buster or built/buy a small tine cultuvator, or single gang disc.  

• Like 3

stevebo

That is the way to go!! Kinda like a universal mount and fab to fit whatever machine you want to put it on👍

• Like 1

RED-Z06
48 minutes ago, stevebo said:

That is the way to go!! Kinda like a universal mount and fab to fit whatever machine you want to put it on👍

I think this could work on most any wheelhorse, the plow mount is universal, i think the 2 bolts on top are pretty standard 3/8 on a 2.25" center, now, the rear tank models and like..C series with the folding fender, not sure.  But a linear actuator could be used to rotate the lift arm...and the manual lever chopped off.

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Waiting on one more Cat0 pin to finish.

Debating on paint color.  Red is the obvious choice but, almond...or metallic silver? Black?

20240218_151756.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Waiting on one more Cat0 pin to finish.

Debating on paint color.  Red is the obvious choice but, almond...or metallic silver? Black?

Much as I love Wheelhorse tractors I believe there's a bit too much of one color on most models.  

Off white or almond would be neat but maybe prone to get dirty?

I'd vote for black too.  

RED-Z06
5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Much as I love Wheelhorse tractors I believe there's a bit too much of one color on most models.  

Off white or almond would be neat but maybe prone to get dirty?

I'd vote for black too.  

The red does get to be a bit much, you know on Farmalls in the 30s and 40s the engine/frame/torquetube/rear was completed, plugs, wires, ignition, belt...and it was Spray bombed IH Red before the sheetmetal was bolted on..so tractors were delivered with painted belts, ignition,  wiring...🤣

• Like 1

stevebo

Red would look more factory imo

RED-Z06
3 minutes ago, stevebo said:

Red would look more factory imo

There will be some red.  Ive ordered the decided upon color..if it turns out bad then, we will consider it a primer and i still have some red left🤣

• Like 1

RED-Z06

Mechanical portion is all done, i hung 275lbs off the arms and nothing gave but the front end was starting to come up.  I put 250 on the drawbar and it held it.  Now ive got to take it all off, clean up some welds and paint it.  I missed my goal of Cat 0 standard 20" spacing between the arms, got 19" down and 18.75 fully raised.  If needed i can heat the arms and put a bit of a dogleg in them.  The drawbar and drop stop are repurposed deck hangers off of a deere deck that i scrapped last year but kept the lift links/hangers because thats some stiff steel.

20240222_172200.jpg

20240222_172208.jpg

20240222_172218.jpg

• Excellent 6

RED-Z06

Except for the handle grip...its done.

I went with a gloss black hammered finish, its got a subtle Argent tint to it, not a hard black, but not industrial grey.

20240223_095005.jpg

20240223_095020.jpg

20240223_095050.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

not a hard black

I see a hint of blue in the reflected light!

Excellent choice of color.

How hard is it to reach the lift lever and apply enough leverage while seated?

• Like 1

RED-Z06
6 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I see a hint of blue in the reflected light!

Excellent choice of color.

How hard is it to reach the lift lever and apply enough leverage while seated?

It seems to be the same reach as on a sears.  Not a big reach, if anything its a bit higher than on a sears or just the lower seat height.  I need to get some cat0 implements now, a small plow, or middle buster/hiller.

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
Posted (edited)

:clap:

Love to see a quick video of it in action...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH