Vinnie

416-8 what is the bolt size and location Transmisssion

Vinnie

I have 416-8 tractor with milky trans/gear oil.  I wanted to flush it.  What is the size of the drain plug and location?

pfrederi

1/4"  Allen Wrench needed

Bottom of tranny

InkedIMG_0217_LI.jpg

peter lena

@Vinnie , want to flush that out ?  residue , collective crud , been using a  hi mileage  cheap ATF FLUID for a drive around  flushing / cleaning action , prefer some driving distance , also use every gear / hi / lo range . also when you replace the shift boot , like a tye wrap  just above the top of the boot , on the metal shaft , also lightly grease the INSIDE OF THE BOOT  , so it  glides over the irregularities , if the top of gear unit . combo make the boot last longer , also like LUCAS climbing gear oil , makes things quieter / easier . done that on my 3 horses , might even touch up related  clutch pedal linkage with  penetrating oil , make the rust run out and red chassis grease on every related movement point , clutch pedal action should be seamless , hi gear start off , is squeal free . pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pfrederi said:

1/4"  Allen Wrench needed

Bottom of tranny

:text-yeahthat:

@Vinnie try to get the front of the tractor as high off the ground as you can SAFELY do so. 

There's a bump in the middle of the floor of the transmission case. 

Raising the front gets that forward well fluid out.  

Also - the fluid is caramel/coffee colored because water is getting in. 

It's very likely that the transmission shifter boot is bad.  

• Like 2

Brockport Bill
3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I have 416-8 tractor with milky trans/gear oil.  I wanted to flush it.  What is the size of the drain plug and location?

i have used kerosene ( some use diesel)  for my flushes but I defer to Pete for anything fluid or lubrication --- i drive for 5-10 minutes to warm fluid -- use all gears and reverse plus hi low - then i drain by jacking up front -- always hoping to get out the "gunk" thats on bottom of tranny ---  When you say "milkey" thats certainly a sign of water/moisture -- When my grandson and I rescued a backyard C165 with cracked shift boot I had to do 3 flushes before we got out all the creamy milk -- plus of course the flushes get out any micro rust corrosion grains that have formed inside the tranny housing -- its amazing to see what settles into the bottom of the tub from what comes out of a tranny that has not been well maintained

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1