Sign in to follow this  
Volvoman

Did any 953 tractors have steering gears?

Volvoman

Or did all 953s originally have the Ross steering box? My 953 has steering gears, but might they be a retrofit of gears from a 1054 or GT14? Thanks. Vvm.

Rollerman

The early 953's used the Ross steering box.

Somewhere along the line they switched over to the fan gear setup.

I have a pair of 953's here both with the fan gears & the frame is assembled & welded together as such.

So I dpon't think you could swap from a Ross to the fan gears without a lot of cutting, grinding, & welding.

Volvoman

Stephen, thanks for weighing in. I suspected this to be the case. Thanks for confirming it. The fan gear setup must have been a less expensive way of steering the tractor, and less/easier maintenance, thus the change. Vvm.

Rollerman

I had heard that they did away with the Ross steering system for a few reasons, take your pick.....to weak, supply problems, excessive steering play?

I do know there was a bulletin from Horse on the change over & have never seen or read it, just know ones out there. :thumbs2:

Since Wheel Horse used the Ross steering on the D's I doubt it was a strength issue.

Some savy engineer probably came up with a way to use "in house" parts makeing it cheaper & simpler to use them instead of the outside sourced Ross system.

Volvoman

Very likely the case, as in any manufacturing venture, whenever production costs can be reduced without causing problems in serviceability or warranty issues, changes will be made if it improves the P&L bottom line. Vvm.

WH953

I am late with this reply. I have two 953 manuals and misplaced the one with the information about the steering unit change. Finally found it today! Here is what it states about the change over to Pinion / Sector Steering.

'' Supplement Sheet #2 953 Tractor Steering Revision ''

" Due to the great demand for 953 tractors, the steering unit previously obtained from a supplier is being manufactured by Wheel Horse. "

Gene_S

Hey Stephen,

My 1054 has a Ross steering box in it. Looks like the PO owner who passed away 12 years ago torched two holes in the right side for bolt access, because of the frame being all welded and mounted a Ross.

Gene

Michcruiser60

My 953 has the Ross gear box. The s/n is 461, so I always thought it was only on the early ones made. The PO of my tractor did a little welding on it. But it does work fine although it has a lot of play in the wheel for my liking.

Top side

mytracrors114.jpg

Bottom side

mytracrors115.jpg