Rick3478

Tree Stump Preservation?

Rick3478

So I had to cut a big oak tree that died, before it has a chance to fall on the house.  Tried to count the growth rings, and not sure how accurate this is, but I came up with 183.  Sad to see it go but had to be done.  Anyway, now I have a big level stump in a well lit area and wife thinks it will be a good place to put a planter for flowers, onions, whatever.  So I would normally be looking for ways to burn or rot a stump to get rid of it, but want to go the other way with this one and make it last as long as possible.  What do y'all think would be the best way to do that?  I had a couple ideas.  For starters, I usually seem to have plenty of used motor oil hanging around, and I could slather it up a couple times a year, it's free so that's a point in favor.  Another thought was maybe a liberal coat of jetcoat asphalt driveway sealer.  Or should I be looking for something containing a fungicide?  Ideas?

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

I turned a pancake from my BIG Oak (202 rings) into a picnic table with Hickory stumps for seats for the kids. I used a bar top sealer - The thick stuff (sorry don't remember the brand). It lasted about ten years until the ants etc. finally won... The sealer and top were still in decent shape. The rest of the the wood went caputz...

Sorry - no pics (:hide:)

• Like 2

JoeM

Take off the bark and put a piece of roofing material on the top???

• Like 1

JCM

Back in 2014 when the area to build the Cabin was cleared I cut 2 trees down in front of either side of the front of the porch but left about 3' remaining out of the ground. I had several small cans of minwax oil base poly left over from many wood projects and brushed that on the tops of the 2 stumps. After that dried I had some 2 X PT stock left over from the floor framing so I screwed that down on top of the stumps then did the poly on top of those. 10 years later they still perform well for a cold beverage or whatever as an outdoor work bench. If you look over the red dump cart you can see the second stump.

IMG_0344.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

WHX??

The love shack Plunge... I love it!:handgestures-thumbupright:

If the stump was cut high and you have the correct saw maybe a carving? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

JCM
26 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I hope you know that you and Cindy are welcome to stay in the love shack anytime you head East. Madge and Linda have dibbs on the Cabin and the honeymoon suite in the house because after all he holds seniority as a RS member longer than us. I'm sure we all would come to an amicable solution  After all there is a bar stool here with your name on it.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Rick3478
50 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

If the stump was cut high and you have the correct saw maybe a carving? 

It's about shin high, so carving is probably out, just a good sturdy base for a half whiskey barrel type planter, I think.

• Like 1

WHX??

Madge can take a poke at a rolling donut Plunge. :ychain:

Good looks trumps seniority.... We'll have him camp under a rotted deck.

Linda now she gets privileges just cause she smells a whole better and puts up with Madge.

All these tractors Pullstart and I needing to get hauled east... :confusion-shrug:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

953 nut
15 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

It lasted about ten years until the ants etc. finally won

Mother Nature is going to win this battle. Is it a red oak or a white oak? We had a white oak dropped into the forest a few years ago and within two  years the stump was nearly decomposed. A red oak nearby was cut twelve years ago and is standing strong, don't know why.

• Like 4

Rick3478
On 1/14/2024 at 7:56 AM, 953 nut said:

Mother Nature is going to win this battle. Is it a red oak or a white oak? We had a white oak dropped into the forest a few years ago and within two  years the stump was nearly decomposed. A red oak nearby was cut twelve years ago and is standing strong, don't know why.

Swamp White Oak.  Yeah nature wins eventually, and I figure below the ground is going to rot no matter what I do.  But if I seal up the platform and above ground parts, think I should be able to get many years of use.

Beap52

Years ago in a termite ravaged pole barn, I utilized used motor oil.  Worked well.  But now a days, I'd be cautious.  There are folks who don't take kindly to our home remedies.  Had some friends who were selling a house that the previous owner let oil leak into the ground. It never bothered them and they just left it.  Cost them several pennies to get it clean enough for the house inspector. 

Wish I could come up with a way to preserve the wood but I'm at a loss.