TerryD

310-8 with Kohler M10 using oil

TerryD

I really like my Wheel Horse 310-8.  I've had it since new but now it's using over halve a quart of oil per hour. Think I need my Kohler M10 engine rebuilt or need to buy an already rebuilt one. I'm near Indianapolis and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for me.  Thanks.

ri702bill

Terry - Welcome. Sounds like a cylinder leakdown test is in order. Could be needing rings, valves, or both. A worn or tapered cylinder bore will not give good service on a discount rebuild...

A clogged or improperly installed breather will result in excessive crankcase pressure that results in excessive oil consumption. Same for overfilling the crankcase.....

Bill

• Like 5

TerryD

Thanks for the reply, Bill. A leakdown test is beyond my capability.  I will check the breather is installed properly. I did have the carb off this summer.

• Like 1

Jon Paulsen

Welcome here Terry :text-welcomeconfetti:

If you can get the spark plug out, get your finger covering the hole, then get someone to try and start it, you should not be able hold back the pressure. Poor man's compression check. 

• Like 1

TerryD

I do have a cylinder pressure gauge I can use to check compression.  I'm not sure what the reading should be.  Anyone know?

wallfish

:WRS:

Over 1/2 a qt of oil an hour is A LOT of oil and it would be surprising if that thing can burn that much and still be able to start.

Are you sure it's not leaking out somewhere too? Pushing out of the case breather? Are there signs of oil on the tractor and the ground after it's parked? Look for the wet spots. Is there lots of smoke out of the exhaust?

• Like 2

ri702bill
2 hours ago, TerryD said:

I do have a cylinder pressure gauge I can use to check compression.  I'm not sure what the reading should be.  Anyone know?

And that is a swing and a miss if your motor has an ACR (Automatic Compression Release). It Keeps the exhaust valve partially open until the engine is above 700 RPM or so.....

953 nut

After you have checked the breather to see if it is clogged you could remove the cylinder head and post some pictures of the condition of your cylinder.

ri702bill
10 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

After you have checked the breather to see if it is clogged you could remove the cylinder head and post some pictures of the condition of your cylinder.

Because - excessive blow by of the rings leaves a telltale clean "trace" where the oil gets by and is removing carbon on the piston. - COULD point to a taper issue or a broken ring...

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:  Terry.     These guys will offer plenty of good advice.    Don't be afraid to ask questions and expand your abilities.  

squonk

Cylinder leak down test is easy. I have the tool for sale in the classifieds. All you need is an air compressor.

TerryD

Thanks for all of the input.  Heading for a cold spell here in Indiana so I don't think I'll be doing anything with the engine for a while.  Your suggestions are greatly appreciated.