leeave96

Onan Electrical Issue, Over Charge and Flash…

leeave96

On my round-2-it list…

Last summer one of my boys was running the Onan powered 520H, he noticed it was overcharging - pegging the needle, and not long after he saw a bright electrical flash from the right side and the tractor died, to not start again.

Would like to get this tractor going before spring…

Before I reinvent the wheel, any sage advice as to what may have happened and where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks!

• Sad 1

lynnmor

Check the white 9 pin connector, they often overheat and burn the wires.  Check the fuse block top and bottom, a Dorman 85668 can be found at many auto parts suppliers if you have that type.  If you have an inline fuse near the starter, check it and its wiring.  Check battery cables at both ends.  Check the grounding of the voltage regulator, it grounds thru the one mounting screw.  When you fix these problems, watch the voltmeter as you start it the first time, if the voltage goes high shut down immediately and replace the voltage regulator, imported ones are available cheap online.  All of the above is not an Onan problem except the regulator.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RED-Z06

If the regulator was failing it could have shorted a popped..that would have blown a fuse or 2

• Like 1

squonk

Clean out the grass and gunk that builds up in the fuse box. That can cause a short.