formariz

Improved anvil fastening.

ri702bill

Very nice! Did you get the shape "new school" with CAD or like I used to do sometimes - modeling clay - "old school" method?? 

Used the clay a few times early on to help define the shape required for gripper jaws on a Pick-and-Place mechanism in Automated Assembly.

Thanks for showing the underside - the shape required  BUT in a way it can be made with the tools available.....

• Thanks 1

formariz
8 hours ago, ri702bill said:

Very nice! Did you get the shape "new school" with CAD or like I used to do sometimes - modeling clay - "old school" method?? 

Used the clay a few times early on to help define the shape required for gripper jaws on a Pick-and-Place mechanism in Automated Assembly.

Thanks for showing the underside - the shape required  BUT in a way it can be made with the tools available.....

No, just laid it out directly on wood from measurements of anvil’s pedestal. Then once cut scribed every contact surface since pedestal varies a bit from side to side. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

That is some nice work Sir

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

8ntruck

That is nice work. 

Any pattern making in your past?

• Thanks 1

wallfish

FANCY! :ychain:

That looks solid. Never really thought about it but how were anvils like that mounted in the past?

• Thanks 1

formariz
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

That is nice work. 

Any pattern making in your past?

Not as a profession. I was however greatly impressed by it when a teenager. I lived in Newark where there were two foundries within walking distance from where I lived. They had a little shop where this old gentleman worked repairing and making patterns. Although very familiar with woodworking from the family his methods and tools fascinated me. He was kind enough to let me in,indulge my curiosity and answer my questions.It was there also that my love affair with Emmert vises started. 

• Excellent 2

formariz
1 hour ago, wallfish said:

FANCY! :ychain:

That looks solid. Never really thought about it but how were anvils like that mounted in the past?

There is a myriad of ways how they are fastened from brackets similar to how i originally had it, bent nails around foot, chains, etc. I guess that if they weight anything over 50lbs as most of them do, fastening is not so critical due to the weight .

My little guy however is only 15lbs so the blow of a 3Lbs hammer makes it want to run away from it. Coupled with the shrinkage of metal when colder it was loose most of the time. I also use it as a “handle” to move it around when not in use so I needed to devise a way where it will stay solidly planted at all times. 

• Like 1

wallfish
1 minute ago, formariz said:

There is a myriad of ways how they are fastened from brackets similar to how i originally had it, bent nails around foot, chains, etc. I guess that if they weight anything over 50lbs as most of them do, fastening is not so critical due to the weight .

My little guy however is only 15lbs so the blow of a 3Lbs hammer makes it want to run away from it. Coupled with the shrinkage of metal when colder it was loose most of the time. I also use it as a “handle” to move it around when not in use so I needed to devise a way where it will stay solidly planted at all times. 

See some with mounting holes but mine is somewhat designed like yours. Just curious what they were thinking. Let it bounce and move or leave it up to the user to try and figure it out. Mine is not that big either so I admire the solution you came up with to lock it in place. 

formariz
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

See some with mounting holes

Actually came across one long ago where owner drilled two holes at an angle through pedestal and used two long lag bolts. A 100+lbs anvil is not going to need much fastening . Just something to keep it from “walking” on the stump. I could have solved the “walking” part by recessing it 1/4” into the stump. However I also use it to pick up the whole thing  so I need it not to move in any direction.

I also often wonder what the thinking behind the shape of the pedestal is. Regardless of size or when they were made, pedestals are similar in shape. Never found however any information if there was a definite fastening method associated with pedestal shape. 

• Like 1

CCW

My anvil, which took two of us to bring down to my shop, was mounted using the bent nail method.  The stump is on casters and it rolls out of the way.  Of course it is so heavy and solid that it does not flinch when struck.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I sure do love learning things!  Thanks Cas!

• Excellent 1

Wayne0
On 1/2/2024 at 1:55 AM, formariz said:

Not only i wasn’t happy with the look of it, more importantly it was frustrating the fact that it got loose often and anvil would move. After thinking about it for a bit came up with a fool proof way of fastening it. It fits precisely onto base of anvil all around, looks better and it’s easily removable if needed. 

Old way

IMG_4766.jpeg.0d9916c1990abad3bfb42503c428da26.jpeg

New way

IMG_4765.jpeg.b0d7cd6be0638d5ea3ab47eba2a3ed8d.jpeg

Wood holder fits precisely all around anvil base

IMG_4763.jpeg.a207bc592ef7394b4d24d14699c70258.jpeg

IMG_4764.jpeg.22153bfd4a47d9d681986e6c49e08a7d.jpeg

That's a nice job! And I do like the whole drawer set up behind it.