noel76

New member from TN

noel76

Hi everyone,

I am new to this form and new to the wheel horse world, I was looking for a garden tractor on FB to help build my homestead and my eye was on cubs but red fever caught me and I end up picking up a wheel horse yesterday, it was rainy and the tractor was covered with weeds and grass and glued to the ground with mud but I was able to haul it on the trailer using rachets , it took me hours to do so I got soaked like a dog but the excitement and the adrenaline helped that's when I knew the wheel horse red fever caught me lol.

The tractor I couldn't match it to any picture I found in this form or on Google , there is no identification plate on it anywhere, the hood says 312-8 but I don't trust it, the black rubber that holds it down are not there and decals looks odd with wrinkles made me assume they are custom made, but I am still looking for hints or something I can provide for you guys to help identify it.

The engine is onan 20 hp this what the sticker says: "Craftsman 20hp by onan" but I couldn't find the serial number on the engine, I am guessing p220 but any help to identify it will be appreciated.

The pto clutch is missing and replaced with standard pulley, the drive belt guard is not there at first I thought it was cut or modified to make the engine swap work but it's not looks it's 2 parts guard and the part closer to the engine was simply removed. 

I am attaching some pictures of it and I will upload more.

Any help will be appreciated , the important part I want to identify is the transmission, I will be using it to pull logs, stumps, trailers, push dirt , all the hard work that comes with clearing a woodland to build a homestead from scratch.

Thank you very much 

1000006456.jpg

1000006457.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to Red Square.

The maroon background of the hood decal was used 1985-1989.

The original tractor data decal would have been on the rear fender pan under the front of the seat or under the left side of the seat. Left and right always from the operator's position in the seat.

Assuming the tractor is a 312-8 with a replacement engine -

6 pages of info for the 312-8 and they are in no particular order.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=312-8&quick=1&type=downloads_file

Possible models 

21-12K801  1985

21-12K802  1986

21-12K803  1986

21-12K804  1987

21-12K805  1988

21-12K806  1989

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs: Noel.     

That does appear to be a 312-8 with an Onan P220G transplanted engine.    These Onans were used in the Craftsman GT series  III tractors.

20 hp onan engine in III GT | Garden Tractor Forums (gardentractortalk.com)

If you do decide to replace the existing drive pulley with a Wheel Horse PTO clutch assembly, make sure the Onan engine is equipped with the correct crankshaft bearing to handle the axial thrust from the PTO clutch.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

CCW

I too have a 87 312-8 that was my father's.  The Kohler M12 engine that was on it had over 1700 hours on it and now smokes.  I am in the process of repowering it with a Honda twin.

• Like 3

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

That 312 probably has the heavier duty 8-speed transmission. Best bet is to measure the diameter of the axle shafts between the transmission case and wheel hubs. It'll either be 1 in or 1 1/8 in.

I think you'll find that to be a great heavy stuff pulling machine.

We have several machines that are older. Some 8 horse. Some 16.

To get the best traction.... You need the most WEIGHT.

Keep asking questions. We'll help you out.

• Like 5

SylvanLakeWH

rjg854

:WRS:

WHX??

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

953 nut

The three hundred series Wheel Horses are very good workers and should do the job. It sounds like you had quite a battle getting it loaded up but you won.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Tire chains would probably be a good idea for pulling logs. A skid or dolley to roll the log onto would be worth considering too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

noel76

Thank you all for the warm welcome and valuable information.

I checked it again and again for identification plate but it's nowhere to be found so I will assume it's 312-8 from 85 to 89 as what gwest_ca suggested.

As for the engine and based on Ed kennel advice I checked around the crankshaft and there was oil leak I hope it's not something to worry about but the engine is free and it has some kind of compression, the oil looks ok but it needs some, I didn't try to start it yet waiting for the solar to fully charge( due to the overcast last week all my 12v batteries are depleted).

I checked the transmission and measured the axle it's 1" inch thick(thank you ebinmaine), there's oil leak on both sides so defenetly it needs oil seals and of course to be opened and cleaned before I put it to work.

The tires to my surprise all are holding air for now , the back tires are 23/10.5/12 so I will be looking either for chains for that size or switch to Ag tires(thank you 953nut).

Here is more pictures

1000006499.jpg

1000006459.jpg

1000006458.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart

• Like 1

gwest_ca

If you do not have any idiots lights or the test switch for them you have a 1985 model 21-12K801.

• Like 2

c-series don

The mule drive(pulley box) on the front of the tractor should pop off by pushing in the rod that sticks out about an inch on the left side of the very front of tractor. Push the rod in and under the mule drive there’s a lever, pull it forward and the whole assembly should come off. I hope I explained that correctly, maybe someone else can post a video explaining it? 

oliver2-44
2 hours ago, noel76 said:

I checked the transmission there's oil leak on both sides so defenetly it needs oil seals and of course to be opened and cleaned before I put it to work.

so I will be looking either for chains for that size or switch to Ag tires(thank you 953nut).

A few suggestions:

Jack the rear up, pull the tires and see if the axles have any up/down, side to side movement. Anything more than a tiny:tiny bit means the axle bearings or axles are worn and need attention.  New seals will soon leak if there is movement. In/out movement up to roughly 1/4” is ok. 
These transmission are not difficult to open up and refurbish.  There are videos of how to rebuild your transmission in the xx section.  However, pulling the hubs of the axle can be a challenge. Leaking seals may have helped you in this area. Do not use a 3 jaw puller, you WILL break the hubs. Search “hub puller” on here and you will see several ways to do it. 

When you reassemble the transmission torque the axle hub bolts per the manual. Run it a few days and retorque them. 

These transmissions are not synchronized. The tractor/drive belt must be stopped before shifting or you will grind the gears. The 3 gear cluster gear gets the most abuse from grinding. 

Yhe rubber boot over the shifter is important to keep water out of the transmission. When you drain your transmission if it looks like milk shake it has some water in it. 

I have a C160 and front snow plow that I’ve used for a lot of dirt work. (Not much snow in Texas). Rear weights, fluid filled tires for more weight and chains give me the best traction. Ag tires are cool, but Chains on turf tires beat them for traction. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

:text-yeahthat:

ALL good advice there.  

Geoff Cornwall

Hope you dont mind if i follow along , need help with traction myself . 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

Check out some of the videos Trina and I have posted in YouTube. 

You'll see what can be tugged pushed etc with a Horse.  

Ed Kennell
4 hours ago, Geoff Cornwall said:

Weight = TractionIMG_6697.JPG.7407de8c9b3f08b34cf079082824ed51.JPG

• Excellent 1