rmaynard

Christmas Eve Cream of Crab Soup

wallfish
On 12/25/2023 at 8:37 PM, WHX?? said:

So why is that Bob? Different flavor... texture?  Skool me here

I don't even prefer seafood and would jump all over that the hunk of beef you pictured over any of it. BUT there's something about those Chesapeake Bay area blue claw crabs that's undoubtedly better. Grew up around Cape May NJ and as kids we would crab EVERYDAY in the summer. I've tried plenty of the imitation crab cakes in NY, Martha's Vineyard etc etc and even around the areas of S Jersey around Philly where I lived before moving to New England.  They're all Kr app compared to the real McCoy down around Maryland for some reason! Even the southern Jersey crabs don't compare to the Maryland crabs.  Whatever that pollution is they discharge into the water down there works for blue claws. All around that area you can get the best crab. Down there they take the kids out to hammer on crabs instead of taking them out for ice cream! There's nothing like watching 2-6 year old kids in a crab joint wearing big plastic bibs hammering away on crabs and enjoying every little tiny piece they pull out of a boat load of crabs! 

You can get them shipped with 3 interest free payments here! LOL ( Read their first sentence explaining. It's funny! ) Never tried these just an internet search. Yes, crab meat has gotten expensive

https://www.cameronsseafood.com/buy-seafood-online/maryland-crab-cake/jumbo/

Maybe, just maybe we can talk Bob into bringing some lump crab cakes or a bushel to the BS. I'm buy'n if'n you cheese guys are showing up!

• Like 2

rmaynard
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

Maybe, just maybe we can talk Bob into bringing some lump crab cakes or a bushel to the BS. I'm buy'n if'n you cheese guys are showing up!

Whoa there big fella... 

Did you check the price of those jumbo crabs?

• Haha 1

Sailman

Since we are on the topic of Maryland Crabs....on our trip to Annapolis one morning we had brunch at the Chart House in Annapolis. I had the The Benedict (Eggs Benedict) which was served with Maryland Crab instead of Canadian Bacon. Insanely delicious!

Edited by Sailman

wallfish
2 hours ago, rmaynard said:

Whoa there big fella... 

Did you check the price of those jumbo crabs?

Yeah, it's expensive but would be a treat and memory.

Guess I could just spend the same money on whiskey and women and get the crabs for free. LOL

• Haha 4

Ed Kennell

Here's a vintage pic I took of one of our crab feed from the '70s.   Best friends   L-R  Mundy,  Ray, Cookie, Jane, and Mrs K. enjoying some  Wye River  Jimmies  that Ray and I caught . 

During the summer, this was a weekly event for many years.

625534876_102_3372(1).JPG.1081ad82e4cfe70337960b204d52b1a5.JPG

• Like 2

c-series don
10 hours ago, Sailman said:

Since we are on the topic of Maryland Crabs....on our trip to Annapolis one morning we had brunch at the Chart House in Annapolis. I had the The Benedict (Eggs Benedict) which was served with Maryland Crab instead of Canadian Bacon. Insanely delicious!

Crab cake Benedict, one of my favorites!! 

• Like 2

WHX??

OK enough of this seafood business... we eat beef ... if we can afford it now. Couple of nice 11/8" porters will send a guy to the poor house these days.

Ah well life's too short. Her b-day is 1-9 and gonna have to spring for some L tails for that!

We pulled into Halifax one patrol for repairs and the supply officer somehow had crates of live lobsters delivered.

We had lobster races on the mess decks. The crazy things submariners did!

• Haha 3

c-series don

Hang on, we are not done with this seafood thing. We didn’t even discuss fresh caught big eye or blue fin tuna, pan seared with a little wasabi, ginger and teriyaki! I’m very lucky I know enough guys that go tuna fishing in the summer almost weekly someone will give me a nice tuna steak. Like I said, just seared in a super hot pan and then sliced thin OMG, delicious! Then we can add a beef steak of your choice! 

Edited by c-series don
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

rmaynard
1 hour ago, WHX?? said:

OK enough of this seafood business...

Don't get me wrong, I love a good 1-1/8" NY Strip, medium rare. At least they are only about $9.99/lb down here. 

• Like 2