CCW

Tank emptying pump

CCW

I am looking for a decent pump to use to empty my gas tank at the end of the season.  My WH is not used during the winter and I always empty the tank of fuel.  in the spring I will use the same pump to empty the fuel tank of the snow blower.  Any suggestions?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I bought this:

Tera Pump TRHA01 2AA Battery-Powered Fuel Transfer Pump. 

at the suggestion of someone around here.  

Been happy with it.  

Screenshot_20231216-163102.png

• Like 3

formariz

Although not cheap, this is probably one of the best things I ever bought related to a fuel or dispensing it. Have used it for years now. It can be used for the purpose you want which I occasionally use steaming fuel from one tractor to another if I get to lazy to go fill can. Makes filling anything using a heavy 5 gallon can easy.

IMG_4675.png.9c880184d052efb9c8e5e73afaafd1a1.png

• Like 3

rjg854

Have one very similar to yours. Works great and even shuts itself off when the tank is full. Like you, I've had it for years.

• Like 2

midpack

I put one together using a 12v electric fuel pump, alligator clips to attach to the battery, fuse, fuel line and toggle switch. 

It was under $30

I like the look of the one that attaches to the cannister, where did you get it?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 hours ago, formariz said:

Makes filling anything using a heavy 5 gallon can easy.

Like that idea. 

That's what I use ours for most often. Either filling a machine from a 5 gallon or transferring from a 5G to a 2. 

We buy Non ethanol gas every few months in a quantity of 12 to 17 gallons depending on current need. 

Holding a 5 gallon tank above a higher tank  is... A challenge. 

4 minutes ago, midpack said:

where did you get it?

These are available at various online places. Jungle. Fleeeebay. 

Farm suppliers. Cabela's/Bass pro. 

Search "Tera gas pump" and they'll pop up in both styles pictured above.  

Definitely a great purchase.  

CCW
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

I bought this:

at the suggestion of someone around here.  

Been happy with it.  

Screenshot_20231216-163102.png

This looks like the best solution.  The ones that attach to a fuel can don't look like they will screw onto the tank of the WH.

rjg854

@CCW

I like the idea of the electric fuel pump, because once either of the other type loses siphon, it will leave gas in the tank. And you want to drain your tank out completely I assume.

formariz
1 hour ago, CCW said:

This looks like the best solution.  The ones that attach to a fuel can don't look like they will screw onto the tank of the WH.

This one also will not attach to tank. There is no need to attach it. This one is actually better to drain tanks such as the ones under seat which have an odd compartment to one side.t. The flexible tube helps on that.

36 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

@CCW

I like the idea of the electric fuel pump, because once either of the other type loses siphon, it will leave gas in the tank. And you want to drain your tank out completely I assume.

No pump will drain tank completely. Once air starts to do in pickup tube it loses suction. There is always a very minimal amount left with either system. I also used an electric fuel pump in the past and it was just a hustle . Between having to power it, and the unpredictability of the lines attached to it was just not a great experience and time consuming. 

I also own a couple with the straight solid pick up shaft. One for kerosene and one to drain and fill the aquarium. 

• Like 1

squonk

If I need to drain a tank I shut the fuel valve off, remove the existing hose and install a longer hose to the gas can and open the valve and let gravity be my friend. I store my tractors with a little bit of the canned gas you can buy at Lowes and TSC. Easy peasy. 

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH
18 minutes ago, squonk said:

open the valve and let gravity be my friend.

:text-yeahthat:

Never need to change gravity's batteries...

:twocents-twocents:

Handy Don

Not gonna say where in my youth I learned how to siphon gas :rolleyes:, but I still practice on the seasonal equipment. Get as much out as I can then run the engine dry. On the Techy’s and Vanguard, open the bowl drain into a cup.

Pullstart

Seat time is practically free :handgestures-thumbupright:

9E7B08E1-37CC-4918-9D5C-2DB887C2267B.jpeg

• Excellent 1

CCW
On 12/16/2023 at 4:32 PM, ebinmaine said:

I bought this:

Your pump suggestion arrived yesterday and worked perfectly for two different jobs.

• Like 1