ebinmaine

Battery chargers/jump packs or combination??

EB-80/8inPA
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

We've decided to get TWO jump packs. 

One for each road vehicle.

You know what they say: “Two is one and one is none.”

• Like 3

EB-80/8inPA
On 12/15/2023 at 8:52 AM, Sailman said:

only the OLD chargers will charge them to full capacity.

Is that possibly because of the potential for fire I wonder?  LI batteries make me a little nervous.   It’s probably imaginary, I’m sure…

• Like 2

WHX??
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Oh no no. THAT'S why I wanted to look for lower budget pieces.   

Well just be careful... you.know the old saying ya get what ya pay for... just sayin... 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Well just be careful... you.know the old saying ya get what ya pay for... just sayin... 

Absolutely agreed. 

Seems lately that nothing lasts like it used to so I tend not to buy newer hand tools unless it's an experiment. 

Electronic tools... Not much choice.  

I ordered two jump packs and two automatic chargers this morning.  Also bought a 3 year warranty for a few dollars.  

They'll either last 3 years or be replaced for free. 

• Like 3

davem1111
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely agreed. 

Seems lately that nothing lasts like it used to so I tend not to buy newer hand tools unless it's an experiment. 

Electronic tools... Not much choice.  

I ordered two jump packs and two automatic chargers this morning.  Also bought a 3 year warranty for a few dollars.  

They'll either last 3 years or be replaced for free. 

Those warranties are something worth thinking about and doing some research on (of course, do research on the products first....)   In a case like this, if the warranty isn't *too* expensive, it makes a lot of sense, as long as you keep your receipts and the seller/manufacturer has a reputation of honoring the warranty without making it a major pain. 

One way of looking at it is:  Am I getting a product for $100 that I might have to replace at my cost in a year or less, or getting that product for $120 or a bit more, that I don't have to worry about replacing at my cost for 3 years? 

This got me thinking about warranties on electronics and appliances. Mainly things like TV's - if the TV is $200 and the extended warranty is $40-50, I won't buy it. I could regret it sometime but so far I haven't. I bought a 32" Insignia TV about 6-7 years ago, and did not buy the expensive extended warranty. It died after about 5 years (which would have been past any extended warranty anyway). Got a brand new BIGGER one for the same price I paid for the original one, so I'm not unhappy about that. If it had died after 2-3 years, I would have been a bit unhappy but still would have been able to replace it with a bigger (but better?) one for the same price or less. It's all a gamble.

Cars & trucks, yes, I want an extended warranty for at least till the loan is about 3/4 paid off or more. I've been saved by those a few times. Which also makes me think about the "Lemon Law", which I've had to take advantage of twice. They were both a long annoying fight but I won in the end both times. To make a short story long, which I like to do, the first time I had the transmission blow apart on a Chevy high-top conversion van. Dealer replaced the trans. Then I said, "I have the same warranty on *this* trans, right?"  Dealer said, "nope, no warranty on the replacement."  WTH?  I said, "Unacceptable. My lawyer will be in touch."  A year and a half later I got ALL my money back, but had to drive a beater in the meantime. It was worth it. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

In a case like this, if the warranty isn't *too* expensive, it makes a lot of sense, as long as you keep your receipts and the seller/manufacturer has a reputation of honoring the warranty without making it a major pain

I don't buy much from the jungle site anymore because I think bezos has enough money. 

I also don't like not having a brick n mortar building to walk into. 

This time I ordered from Wally world because when/if I have an issue I can physically bring the item(s) to a store in which they WILL honor their own warranty here in Maine. 

We have a law related to Warranty of Suitability. Most products are on a generalized list that shows the expected life span. 

I bought 4 items. Saved around 50% or a little more. 

Bought 4 warranties. Cost about 13 dollars total.  

Definitely worth it.  

• Like 1

Sailman
On 12/16/2023 at 3:27 PM, EB-80/8inPA said:

Is that possibly because of the potential for fire I wonder?  LI batteries make me a little nervous.   It’s probably imaginary, I’m sure…

I don't think there is an issue of fire. These are expensive small batteries and not the same risk as the electric car fires we hear about. The reason the old chargers work is they just continue to put out charge and the battery decides when to stop taking charge. The newer "smart" and multi stage chargers don't interface with the batteries built in limiter and reduce the charge before full battery charge. Of course there are chargers dedicated to lithium ion batteries available too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

kpinnc
6 hours ago, Sailman said:

Of course there are chargers dedicated to lithium ion batteries available too.

Lithium ion batteries are pretty safe. Lithium ferrite batteries are safe too, though they swell terribly with repeated discharge cycles.

Lithium Polymer batteries are extremely volitale. Just dropping one can create a very big fire, and it can wait to ignite for an hour or more. You never store a dropped or dented lithium polymer battery with others. They also require special chargers to charge each cell individually, and should be stored at a certain voltage and in steel or fireproof containers. 

Of course, lithium polymer batteries can discharge hundreds of amps from a pack the size of a matchbox- for at least a few seconds. That's what makes them great for certain applications. They can make massive discharge rates, albeit for a very short period. They are used primarily in RC cars, aircraft, and drones.

Point being- not all lithium batteries are bad. Most are no more dangerous than the 12V battery in your car. But some are very dangerous and require special handling and storage. Just like the postal service, everyone assumes anything "lithium" is dangerous, but that isn't the case. 

Edited by kpinnc
  • Like 3

ebinmaine

LiFePO4 is the type used in the jump packs I bought.  

Lithium iron phosphate. Safety level is considered good with these.  

Gooloo Ge4500 is the model I chose. The brand has a very good overall reputation with residential and commercial folk. 

Average to lower amount of negative reviews. 

Power per dollar, so to speak, is average as well. There are certainly less expensive ones and much much more. 

kpinnc
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Lithium iron phosphate. Safety level is considered good with these.  

Yep. Basically identical to lithium ferrite. I've seen folks literally drive a nail through them without any issues.

• Like 1

OoPEZoO

I have a few battery tender branded chargers that have treated me well over the years. Think I have 3 of the cheaper low amp singles and 1 dual channel that is also pretty low current. Between 3 motorcycles, 2 tractors, kids power wheels…….they are almost all in use constantly. As far as a jumper pack, I just have an old AGM motorcycle battery with a set of small jumper cables attached to it. It gets recharged after use and put back on the shelf

• Like 1

WHX??

Funny thing the other day. The battery in the 520 FEL is getting old and weak so I swapped it out with a fresh one from the 502. Thinkin it should have enough power left to start a little Tecky right? Not. So I start rummaging around in cabinets out in the warehouse muttering I gotta have a charger out here somewhere.

Find this and immediate thought was of EB and this thread.

I have no idea where I got this ... maybe in a box of auction crap. Forgot I even had it. Might have put new gator clamps at one time. 

What better way to charge a vintage tractor than a vintage charger? :)

20231221_101054.jpg

Edited by WHX??
Speeling
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

I have no idea where I got this ... maybe in a box of auction crap. Forgot I even had it. Might have put new gator clamps at one time. 

What better way to charge a vintage tractor than a vintage charger?

That's fantastic!! 

Pop the top cover off that and just check for corroded or dried out wire casings. Throw some new clamps on and go for it.

I have one even older sitting up on a top shelf that I've never dared to try. Remind me and I'll get a picture of it sometime.

WHX??
14 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Pop the top cover off that and just check for corroded or dried

Good advice... it did charge. 

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
23 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Here's the one I have setting up on a top shelf for display.  

Third pic you get a bonus shot of an old Thermos.  

IMG_20231222_112331_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231222_112338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231222_112443_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Wayne0
On 12/15/2023 at 12:24 PM, Lane Ranger said:

This is an interesting topic !

At the big Wheel Horse Show in Pennsylvania two years ago I had a couple tractors and one was my 854 which had been sitting a long time without use in my garage.   When I unloaded and parked it at the show I did not start the motor.  

The next day I wanted to start the tractor and ride around the show grounds. Turned the key and nothing cooking!

I had my canopy set up between Josh Aungst and Jerry Karp.   I don’t recall which one of these guys offered first but they both had the same NOVO charger that I have pictured.

I hooked it up to my battery and started right up.  Running the tractor charged up after use.

But I was intrigued by the portable charger.   I think they were over $200 when I bought mine but I liked that it was very compact , could put under a truck or car seat.  It had different ports for charging a phone, tablet , etc.  it had a good led light with several light features - flashing etc.   and it cold be recharged but still hold a charge for months.  Also could be used to start both gas and diesel trucks. 

I bought the 2000 amp size but it also comes  in a 3500 amp version.

i have used for two years now and like it much better than the portable chargers I use to use from Harbor Freight, etc. 

I bought this same unit in the jungle and it has been awesome. Started my truck, tractors and boat (454) as well. Re-charges from a USB!

IMG_0661.jpeg

IMG_0665.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0662.jpeg

• Like 1

1940willys

WHX?? Needs a new Grommet for sure. On another SAD NOTE, Don Schumacher ,Drag Racing Legend Just Passed away last week. Succumbed to the several year battle with Cancer.  Don started Schumacher Electric years ago. Rip NHRA Drag Racing Legend , Team Owner Don Schumacher. 

Edited by 1940willys
addition of more written material.
  • Thanks 1

WHX??
On 12/22/2023 at 11:40 AM, ebinmaine said:

Here's the one I have setting up on a top shelf for display. 

That right there is an interesting piece. Now what's gonna happen is I am going to scour tractor show fleas for vintage chargers... Maybe start collecting...:techie-hiding:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

That right there is an interesting piece. Now what's gonna happen is I am going to scour tractor show fleas for vintage chargers... Maybe start collecting...:techie-hiding:

You're welcome.  

• Haha 1