PWL216

Mower Deck - If you could only keep one

23 Reo

Just run what you like. I have a 36RD, two 42RDs, a 42SD and a 48SD. I always use the 48SD and the 42SD but the others are also great.

• Like 2

Brockport Bill
9 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Tossing in a vote for the 42 RD.

Extends just a bit past the track of the (8.5”, no spacer) wheels on both sides so you can get close to flower beds, walls, etc, (It won’t go under a post and rail, though).

Gets close on either side which is helpful when you are mowing around a fair number of obstacles.

Cut is wide enough that typically you do not need to overlap the tire path from the previous cutting pass.

Somewhat heavier than a 36 but still pretty narrow (unless you have a known “37 inch passage” that you must get through!)

With a flap on the discharge (we used a piece of 4” vinyl cove), you can keep the clippings very well under control and NONE wind up being sucked in by the engine fan (unless it’s really really dry and windy!)

They do poorly at rock chucking.

i installed the base cove vinyl flap deflector to a few 42 rd's i did some rehab on -- here are some photos of their attachment -- i use the carriage bolts head underneath so the rounded over head of bolts wont get damaged from debris discharged

wh 42rd. CT 1 top front view For Sale.jpg

wh 42 rd. mower bottom for sale.jpg

wh 42 rd deflector top rear angle.jpg

wh 42 r.d. mower rear flange.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

CCW

Just have a 36 RD that I used for the first time this past summer.  After putting a file to the blades it did a great job of cutting.  After mowing I use the lawn sweeper and everyone is happy.  Sweeper also did a great job on the leaves and pine cones this past fall.  I do not want to go larger because it would take up too much room in the shed.  Of course I only have a 1/4 acre lot to mow. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@PWL216  used a 36" R/D  for years , loved its simplicity , function . also did a bearing upgrade and function detailing , only fault was size . personally like the 42 " R/D  deck , remove the blade baffles , to eliminate , collective rot / rust areas , have 3 of these decks , all set up the same way . all have bearing upgrade . functional  detailing , along with MULE DRIVE /  PTO , LEVER SET UP . as I eliminated problems / issues , my decks became bombproof , for any past problem areas . quiet , smooth , easy running , zero rust / rot , regular look overs for anything . think staying after anything that works , with constant  reliable usage is vital to learn from  and enhance , that durability . more often than not , you ignore  a repetitive issue , thats your  chance to eliminate the issue ! deck height is also vital for DISCHARGE , VENTING  , break the GRUNGE CYCLE  , drop deck , clean / scrape , lubrication soak down / hot sun is best , on and on . my decks are sleeping now , in lubricant , no grunge , rot / rust , just what I do . pete    

• Like 1

biged77

I have a 42RD, 42SD and 48SD.  The 42 RD is my go to deck. The others are backups. I like the way it cuts and mulches even without the mulching kit.  I don't have a flap in the back but have not seen any problem with throwing rocks, etc. out the back. I have a lot of trees so being able to cut around them on either side is a plus.  

• Like 1

RJR49

I have so many leaves in the fall that I use a trailer with 4' high sides to catch them. I wouldn't consider an RD deck. I don't typically catch the grass clippings. But there are the times that I wait to long between mowings. And it's nice to be able to attach the vacuum so that I don't have clumps of dead grass killing my lawn. 

• Like 1

clueless

So after some quick sipheren, looks like after 17 votes the rear discharges are hand's down the favorites with the 36" coming in first. FYI, this is before the Electoral College decides :scratchead:.  

48sd - 3

42sd -1

42rd - 5.5

36rd -7.5

36sd - 0

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, clueless said:

FYI, this is before the Electoral College decides

So the clear inarguable winner will be a single stage short chute snow blower? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2