Sign in to follow this  
SteveF

Toro Wheel Horse 212-6 Belt Installation

SteveF

TT,

Thanks again for the continual excellent advice. That's kind of why I eventually removed the bagger. I'm wondering if today's baggers on some of the new tractors work any more efficiently. I inherited this tractor when I purchased the house 13 years ago as I convinced the previous owners to throw it into the deal. Although I only use it for cutting grass (no snow plowing or hauling of rocks), it has served me faithfully for the 13 years I've been using it. Other than this belt finally breaking due to a stick getting caught in the pulley, I already had purchased a replacement belt previously since it was looking kind of ratty about a year ago anyway. Thanks to your help, I was at least finally able to get that installed and get it back to operation again. I don't believe the Wheel Horse 212-6 has more than a few horsepower. I'll have to check the manual specs on the Kawasaki engine to be certain of just how many.

I was looking into purchasing a 2007 Husqvarna 2146XP which still has the Kawasaki engine which I like. Any advice on the Husqvarna? I'm hearing nightmarish stories with some of the new Husqvarnas with the Briggs & Stratton engines. Some people are stating that their tractor goes faster in reverse than in any forward gear and others on the Internet have reported similar findings. Also transmission problems seem to be commonplace. Even the authorized Husky dealer was reluctant to sell me one hinting that Husky might be able to renew their contract with Kawasaki and that I'd be better off!

I have a lot of faith in the Kawasaki engines since my motorcycles are also Kawasaki. I'm selling (practically giving away) one of my cycles that needs to be rebuilt but may be a classic. Ever see a Kawasaki "triple"? 1975 Kawasaki KH250. I believe it was the heaviest 250 weighing in dry at 339lbs. It's a 2-stroke 3 cylinder engine in deep blue tank color. The 500cc was red and the 750cc purple.

SteveF

wh500special

Those that know me will attest that I am a doubting Thomas when it comes to cut quality with most of WH's decks, but I really have had great luck with the 37-incher. We've been running a bagger on the back of dad's 211-4 since it was new and have always enjoyed excellent results with it. I know a lot depends on the specifics of your situation, but it really was the odd occurance to have the chute plug or leave a significant amount of clippings behind.

There might be more going on than we've allowed for. Unless your chute is plugges you ought to be able to suck up just about any "normal" amount of grass with this thing. I'm wondering if your clutch is slipping or something that is keeping the blades from spinning with any authority.

Really, you should expect good results with this combo. Not perfect, but definately better than your tractor has performed. It might warrant another look!

Best of luck,

Steve

SteveF

wh500special,

Thanks for the quick response. In fact, my clutch IS slipping. This might explain why my bagger never worked right but I never made the connection between the slipping clutch and no clippings in the bagger. It otherwise cuts the grass fine when using the side discharge, however.

How difficult is it to troubleshoot a slipping clutch on these Wheel Horse 212-6 machines? It almost feels that I'm power shifting to go from first gear to each successively upward gear. Any suggestions of what I should start to look at first to remedy the clutch issue? I'll have to check the manual to see if there is an adjustment cable for it.

All advice is greatly appreciated.

:thumbs2: in advance,

SteveF