TWH520H

Lift assist spring necessary?

TWH520H

I have used a old, single stage blower on my 520h for 20 years. I have acquired two 44" 2-stage blowers and will be using one for the first time this year. 2 questions:

First, is the lift assist spring required given the hydraulic lift?

2nd, the belt guard bracket and anti-sway brackets mention "locators" which I do not have. I am not able to find a part number or even a pic. Can anyone help?

Btw, I have acquired 4 520h tractors. All run and I have both single and 2-stage blowers as well as 3 48" mowing decks and 1 60" deck. They are all functional but, each need some repair to make them nice. I also have a dozer blade that is in new condition. Let me know if anything is of interest.IMG_20231208_151337.jpg.b43551ed35ae739b6ab752cb40808ff1.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, TWH520H said:

is the lift assist spring required given the hydraulic lift?

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Using the lift assist spring on a Hydro tractor is a question of "can you" vs "should you". 

The lift will certainly make the snowblower go up and down on its own but the weight of the big Two Stage Snowblower is such that it REALLY should have the spring to take tension and wear off the pivots.  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

peter lena

@TWH520H  in addition to spring / lift , get some aerosol red grease , in all the pivot / movement points , make related rust  go away .would  personally , give that unit a, penetrating lubrication spray down , paint fade stage , says , I,M READY , just me , Pete 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

lynnmor

:text-welcomeconfetti:

The manual is available here.

• Like 1

wallfish

The large spring under/near the belt is more to stabilize the load keeping it level more than anything.

The anti sway stuff is to keep the belt from rubbing the hood. Think Lowell sells those parts

https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

TWH520H

Thanks everyone! Confirmed my thoughts on the lift assist spring. I've not used one on my single stage with no issue but, these are so much heavier. 

I plan to give it a good bath and lube everything before any use. Getting it mounted and moveable so I can get it in my heated garage to prep. Thanks again!

• Like 4

8ntruck

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the forum.  Lots of good folks here.  I'm pretty sure that as a group, we have broken and fixed pretty much everything on a Wheel Horse that can be broken and fixed.  Even better, several people will usually share advice and ideas about whatever you happen to ask.

I've sent you a personal message about a mower deck.

If you are serious about selling Wheel Horse related items, you should check out the classified section of the forum. 

• Like 3

TonyToro Jr.

:text-welcomeconfetti:to:rs:!!!

• Like 1

peter lena

@TWH520H  very often see total neglect , talking rust everywhere , everything vibrating , nothing works like its saposed to , like a brag point of , I DON,T CARE . when a mower deck is abuzz with movement , you can bet every rotational point on it  is in the failure stage . notice the belt tensioner , bouncing like crazy ? what could that possibly be? how about ,incremental bearing binding ? rusty dust , from connection areas , clutch pedal , binding up ? leave it outside , water in your trans ? really ?   do not understand it , Pete  

• Like 1