Elliot Garfinkel

Multi meter

Elliot Garfinkel

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent multi meter for the most part to  be used on  our tractor hobby.

• Like 1

WHX??

HF ones are resonable and have a nice selection. One may not want to make a living with them but just fine for a tractor affliction. Same with the ones in the jungle.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill

The best name in Multi-Meters has always been Fluke - a bit pricy, but the best...

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Elliot Garfinkel

I have a hf one and was pretty happy with it but I think it reached its  reliability I'm going to look around probably end up at hf thanks

• Like 1

squonk
17 minutes ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

I have a hf one and was pretty happy with it but I think it reached its  reliability I'm going to look around probably end up at hf thanks

You can buy a $2 HF meter and a $300 Fluke and get the same results working on a Wheel Horse. Many times a digital meter will not work correctly on a RUNNING tractor. Spend your money on an analog meter. You can pick up a nice Simpson on E bay quite often but a cheap HF or Tractor Supply analog meter will get the job done.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Many times a digital meter will not work correctly on a RUNNING tractor

:text-yeahthat:

Need to have a long set of leads to keep the meter from picking up induced readings from the chargin/ignition system.

• Like 6

WHX??
3 hours ago, squonk said:

Spend your money on an analog meter. You can pick up a nice Simpson

Yer on crack Sqounky but have a point... wanna buy a Simpson 260 in great shape? Only used by a little old lady on Sundays.... I'll throw in one or five bonus analogs... you can finally make some friends...:lol:

Ok now i gotta go on one of Squonks rants ... 1979 on a submarine all the Navy would buy us is Simpsons. A 260 was in your mitts all the time. One time a salty electrician got assigned with a nice personal Fluke DMM. We was flabbergasted as we was just entering the digital age. 

Fluke = Can I borrow your wallet @ri702bill:ychain:

Fluke yes if you are running a nuclear powered sub but for a tractor addiction... I don't think so. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

WHX??
3 hours ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

I forgot to ask Elliot why do you say it reached its reliability? 

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

squonk
38 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Yer on crack Sqounky but have a point... wanna buy a Simpson 260 in great shape? Only used by a little old lady on Sundays.... I'll throw in one or five bonus analogs... you can finally make some friends...:lol:

Ok now i gotta go on one of Squonks rants ... 1979 on a submarine all the Navy would buy us is Simpsons. A 260 was in your mitts all the time. One time a salty electrician got assigned with a nice personal Fluke DMM. We was flabbergasted as we was just entering the digital age. 

Fluke = Can I borrow your wallet @ri702bill:ychain:

Fluke yes if you are running a nuclear powered sub but for a tractor addiction... I don't think so. 

You weren't on that sub with that busted UEI  of yours were you? :lol:

• Haha 2

Elliot Garfinkel

It seems that the readings are all over the place it doesn't stay at a reading and slowly drops to zero.Sometimes I get a negative .Changed battery several times. What about a Klein meter ?

• Like 1

squonk
9 hours ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

It seems that the readings are all over the place it doesn't stay at a reading and slowly drops to zero.Sometimes I get a negative .Changed battery several times. What about a Klein meter ?

That's what the digital meters will do. They pick up induced interference from the ignition and charging systems. Just get an analog meter. 

• Like 1

squonk

Whilst we are on the subject of meters and knowing how much @WHX?? loves my stories:

More than once I've had or seen a Fluke meter send somebody on aa wild goose chase. We had an energy management audit at work a few month's ago. They did some reports and found some AHU dampers not working right. We just had a controls upgrade before the audit. So the tech from the controls co. comes in 2 weeks ago and he's testing transducers and he thinks he has 2 bad ones but the Fluke meter he's using doesn't verify it. He needs 10 volts DC on a terminal board and his meter is giving him all kinds of weird readings. He's a pretty high strung guy and is starting to pitch a fit.  I say to him "let me get my Fieldpiece meter"  He connects my meter and BOOM 10 volts DC.  

This happens all the time. Our electrician has a Fluke and a Klein and sometimes he will call me to bring my Fieldpiece just to confirm a finding.

• Like 3

WHX??
11 hours ago, Elliot Garfinkel said:

What about a Klein meter ?

I saw those in the jungle. Not too bad on the price.

Would think they are China made and Klein puts their name on it. Klein does have a reputation to uphold for quality tools tho right? 

Much as I hate to agree with Squonky the Fieldpieces are right up there with Fluke but not quite as pricey. I have one I got for free for placing large orders through a vendor. It has all kinds of attachments. I seldom use it for tractor work. Afraid to get it all messed up I guess ... saving it for marriage...:lol:

20231207_083917.jpg

Gets the job done Squonky for a dumpster pick.  Honorable wound... fell off a tractor hood. 

17019601481294579969760706989878.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 2

squonk

UEI

yoU ELECTROCUTE INDIVIDUALS! :teasing-poke::lol:

• Haha 3

Handy Don

Personally, I have and use both digital and analog so I can take advantage of their individual strengths.

The digital can tell me RPMs using the frequency setting (counts the pulses of the stator) and is great for exact resistance or capacitance.

The analog is great when looking for continuity, shorts, and bad grounds and for checking VR output.

• Like 3

Elliot Garfinkel

I found this on eBay it was under $30 so what the hay,My other one lasted 3 yrs. I tried it again today and got a good reading but not much confidence. So I'll give this one a shot

Screenshot_20231207_181732_Photos.jpg

• Like 2

WHX??
8 hours ago, squonk said:

UEI

yoU ELECTROCUTE INDIVIDUALS! :teasing-poke::lol:

Only guys like you! 

I have had them since a green horn in the HVAC trade. Only thing we could afford. You had problems with them 'cause you prolly had your schwantz in the other hand! 

• Haha 1

Elliot Garfinkel

Maybe that's my problem no continuity 

Racinbob

@Elliot Garfinkel A Klein meter will do you just fine.

@WHX?? Surprisingly enough I'm happy to say Klein meters are made in the USA. :USA:

I used a Beckman for over 30 years. They were on the same level as Flukes quality wise and pricewise. Paid about $400 for it back in the 80's. A couple years ago it started acting up. Not needing it professionally anymore I opted to say my goodbyes. I picked up a Southwire from the Depot and within a few weeks I was cussing the flakyness of Southwire meters and did a slam dunk with it. I decided to do more research and liked what I saw in the Klein meters. Beckman? No. Fluke? No. But they are often compared to Fluke giving them a run for their money and coming up a bit short. I opted to go up the ladder a few notches to get the features I wanted, True RMS, capacitance, better ranging, etc. So far I'm as happy as can be with it. 

There's been several meters mentioned in this thread that will suit you just fine. Keep in mind that 99% of the issues are pilot error 99% of the time. :)

• Thanks 1