Manuel

44” snowthrower auger gearbox inquiry

Manuel

Model 06-44sc01; serial#starts w a 2… called toro to order a service manual, told no longer available.. I have ordered the gasket, 2 seals and the 2 brgs that go on both ends of the auger. By looking at it, does not appear to be a difficult task but I’ve never done this, I am more familiar w 7.4 mercruiser marine engines so this is new to me, all the videos I find are for the smaller push behind but nada on this one, toro rep told me to take to their independent toro dealer. Not happening. Anything I should be aware of? I did notice a slight play on the impeller shaft, is this normal? Appreciate any help I can get. Did find a 3rd party link that states they sell service books but I checked the Better Business Bureau and just about all customers had a complaint and were not getting refunds because “the file had been downloaded” so I’m thinking this is not someone I would do business with.  Again, thank you all for your time. 

• Like 1

pfrederi

Click on the fuzy picture free download here. 

Edited by pfrederi
  • Excellent 2

pfrederi

I do not have a 2 stage someone will be along to help.

Achto

@WHX??

Jim, you rebuilt one of these. Any insight to share?

wallfish

Not super difficult if already have that kind of background for mechanical things.

There's also a bearing under the large sprocket in the back. #15 under Gear case and belt Assembly 

Check the small sprocket on the top gearbox for wear. If they look like shark fins replace the sprocket.

You can fill the auger worm gear box with JD Cornhead grease or I use Lubriplate 105 engine assembly grease.

The chain tensioner was originally a wooden block. Then it went to hard plastic. A bunch of us add an idler sprocket instead of the rub type tensioners. Take a look at it once you open her up

Some of have changed those auger "bearings" because they are actually bushings to real bearings but since you already ordered them I would just use them.

Some have motorized the chute rotation and used a small actuator for the deflector.

• Like 3

Manuel

Thank you so much, this is great info and I’m very appreciative of getting answers from all, glad I joined this group. 

• Like 1

c-series don

If you can work on a Mercruiser you can rebuild the blower, especially if you can rebuild an I/O. I took mine totally apart to repaint it and it was really not a big deal. Some guys added rubber flaps to the impeller and claimed it increased the throwing distance. I was going to do that but ran out of time and needed to use it. I’m sure someone here has a picture or knows where the thread is on this. 

wallfish

What kind of play on the impeller shaft? If it's up down and all around it's the bearing behind the big sprocket if it's the back. There's typically just a little bit of in out play but not much.

Also check for bent paddles while you have it apart. They can be straightened but do it while it's out.

Yes, adding thick rubber paddle extensions like Don mentioned adds a little efficiency to it. It takes up that gap between the paddles and the housing plus adds a little bit of an extension to the paddles. 

What size tractor/engine are you planning to run this on?

• Like 1

Manuel

Thanks. Play is back and forth, not a whole lot, maybe less than 1/4 inch

Manuel

Is for a 520h model 73502

wallfish
20 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Is for a 520h model 73502

520 has plenty of power to run it. But I would still like one of those 523xi diesel tractors with a 2 stage

Manuel

Good evening, all back together, looks good and running as designed. Cleaned up the chain with mineral spirits then put in a container with chainsaw oil for a few days, sprockets are in good shape as well. Left about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch of play in the chain, ran it with no load(no snow) and it seems like chain got tighter, there is still some play but probably close to 1/4 inch or even less, to me,this may be too tight on the chain.  I did loosened up the chain to 1/2 or more play and it did the same, the wood block tensioner is tight all right, hate to snap a bolt but will try it again. Sucks that Toro has told me they can’t help me getting a service book as they said it’s too old and to take to a toro dealer.. ticks me off beyond belief as I worked for a car company for 39 years and if a customer wrote in and had questions about their old vehicle, we provided answers(sometimes it would take more than a few days) to them and not tell them what Toro told me. Live and learn I guess. 

wallfish
26 minutes ago, Manuel said:

Sucks that Toro has told me they can’t help me getting a service book as they said it’s too old and to take to a toro dealer

Did you click on the picture in post #2 above and download the manual?  Not sure what other information you are looking for.

You should enjoy snow removal this year running that thing. Love mine and it makes quick work of those deep storms.

Manuel

Thanks wallfish, yes I looked at post 2, already have, I’m looking for a service book that give more info on tear down , specs , etc. I’m sure a dealer is not going to print that for anyone off the street. Tried to post a picture of the 520 but file too big.