ebinmaine

Carb shaft broken screw removal methods?

ebinmaine

I have a few throttle and choke shafts that have the broken screws in them. Some my own fault. Some I got that way. 

How do YOU repair the issue?

I understand I could potentially drill out the broken piece and go one size up in fasteners?

Thoughts comments questions suggestions?? 

• Like 1

Jon Paulsen

Maybe replace with small OD rod or repair with small ID tubing (light press fit)? 

Just my knee jerk reaction thought's...

• Like 1

JoeM
56 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I understand I could potentially drill out the broken piece and go one size up in fasteners?

If you have a decent drill press and a good eye I have done one from the back side lets you file it a bit to find good center. started with a 50 thousands. I would up to size and tap on size first before going up. 

or go out and dig up a wad of cash and buy a throttle shaft kit. 

• Like 2

pfrederi

I drill them out.  I have #3 and # 4 taps and a bag of each size screws.  Some times luck an if i am well cemented  can just clean up the treads and stay same size...

• Like 4

Jon Paulsen
9 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

if i am well cemented

:lol::lol::lol:

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, JoeM said:

If you have a decent drill press and a good eye I have done one from the back side lets you file it a bit to find good center. started with a 50 thousands. I would up to size and tap on size first before going up. 

or go out and dig up a wad of cash and buy a throttle shaft kit. 

I have a drill press but I'm not sure it's decent.  It's a big floor model that's likely older than me and wasn't expensive. The quill (?) wanders a little.  That's another thread I oughta start. 

ri702bill

Is the shaft out of the carburetor??

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Is the shaft out of the carburetor??

Yessir.  

I have a half dozen or more from a parts box along with a couple of my own mistakes. 

ri702bill
41 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yessir.  

I have a half dozen or more from a parts box along with a couple of my own mistakes. 

I have had decent success lightly heating the shaft - expands it and kills any Loctite bond. Helps, but not perfect.

Drill press on HIGH speed, using a sharp #1 or #2 centerdrill. Peck at it until you get a full diameter. Drill thru about 80% of the screw size, then crush the screw inward. Done correctly it does not mar the shaft....

• Like 2

RED-Z06

Havent had one break on a kohler yet but when they do break ill replace the shaft...a chicom carb makes a great shaft donor

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Havent had one break on a kohler yet but when they do break ill replace the shaft...a chicom carb makes a great shaft donor

That's just the problem on a Wheel Horse right there.

The choke shaft is backwards unless you want to spend the big money...

Unless you know of an inexpensive one.  ?

I would rather learn how to REPAIR instead of replacing parts... but sometimes replacement is just the best thing to do.  

RED-Z06
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

That's just the problem on a Wheel Horse right there.

The choke shaft is backwards unless you want to spend the big money...

Unless you know of an inexpensive one.  ?

I would rather learn how to REPAIR instead of replacing parts... but sometimes replacement is just the best thing to do.  

Ive had excellent luck with this carb, but for 21.xx, its a new shaft, butterfly, bowl, float, float needle, jet needles, gaskets...

Silscvtt 47-853-23-S, 47 853 23-S Carburetor Replacement for Kohler K241 K301 10Hp 12Hp Lawnmower Cast Iron Engine 100 102 104 122 123 124 125 126 128 129 Garden Tractors https://a.co/d/3t0nsNe

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
58 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

this carb

I wonder if that throttle plate would work on the larger 14 and 16 HP 

RED-Z06
12 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I wonder if that throttle plate would work on the larger 14 and 16 HP 

If you have a measurement i can go see if i can find out.  The venturi and throat are likely larger but the air horn section may not be

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

If you have a measurement i can go see if i can find out.  The venturi and throat are likely larger but the air horn section may not be

Not sure on the throat. Venturi is definitely larger. I'll check it when I get home.

RED-Z06
39 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Not sure on the throat. Venturi is definitely larger. I'll check it when I get home.

Heres the throttle and venturi specs for sure

Screenshot_20231127_142305_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

Heres the throttle and venturi specs for sure

Let me just start by reminding people that I like Norman. He's a good guy. But I can't buy a carburetor from him.

We've talked about this in another thread but I have one here with very little hours on it. Couple things in particular I really don't like very much at all.

The bore size is not marked in any way. You don't even know what you have in your hands so you don't know what size engine it's supposed to be on.

The reason I took it off though: The throttle shaft bore already has premature excessive wear. Unfortunately there's no way to install the brass washers that we've been using to tighten up excessive play. That renders this carburetor as ... no good.

I do almost no repairs for paying customers but if I was, I couldn't sell one of these in good conscience.

I'm glad that some people are having better luck with aftermarket carburetors than I am. This is at least the fourth or fifth one I've seen in about that many years that isn't usable.

I'll stick to my OE Kohlers and rebuilding them.

RED-Z06
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Let me just start by reminding people that I like Norman. He's a good guy. But I can't buy a carburetor from him.

We've talked about this in another thread but I have one here with very little hours on it. Couple things in particular I really don't like very much at all.

The bore size is not marked in any way. You don't even know what you have in your hands so you don't know what size engine it's supposed to be on.

The reason I took it off though: The throttle shaft bore already has premature excessive wear. Unfortunately there's no way to install the brass washers that we've been using to tighten up excessive play. That renders this carburetor as ... no good.

I do almost no repairs for paying customers but if I was, I couldn't sell one of these in good conscience.

I'm glad that some people are having better luck with aftermarket carburetors than I am. This is at least the fourth or fifth one I've seen in about that many years that isn't usable.

I'll stick to my OE Kohlers and rebuilding them.

Isnt that the one that I suspected was mispackaged as a 14/16 but was a 10/12?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, RED-Z06 said:

Isnt that the one that I suspected was mispackaged as a 14/16 but was a 10/12?

Yes sir it sure is. Absolutely possible.

But the premature wear ..... 

RED-Z06
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yes sir it sure is. Absolutely possible.

But the premature wear ..... 

Excessive throttle shaft pressure from the smaller bore? Possibly?

This carb was 18 bucks off Amazon 2 years ago, ive put a bit over 125 hrs on it now all pushing dirt; rocks, sand...i tried to save the oem, multiple kits and hours in the sonic cleaner..just wouldn't work, i bolted this one on and its been perfect.  Engine is on its last legs..like its ready to die any time now but that carb is awesome, im definitely saving it for another Engine when the engine takes its last breath.

https://youtube.com/shorts/8DM5RK_qH3g?si=MTAaUMMHz1WW-wfo

• Like 2