goldeagle

How on earth do you remove a tire??

RJR49

I used a 4X4 and the front end weight of an F-350 Super Duty to break the bead on a Corvette rear tire. Barely enough weight if you can believe that. A Wheel Horse tire should be much easier. But, that just breaks the bead. getting the tire off is a different story. Also there is a YouTube video showing how to break the bead with a floor jack. 

• Like 1

OoPEZoO

I've changed 100's of tires over the years using that larger HF tire changer posted earlier.  Car tires, motorcycle tires, tractor tires, wheelbarrow, trailer........I've never had a bead I couldn't break with it.  The trick to removing and installing the tires with the HF setup is to take the included large mount/dismount bar and throw it in the trash.  Do a google search for the Mojolever.  Its a little side hustle my motorcycle buddy Mitch has been up to for the past 15+ years.  I've been using mine since probably 2006ish and couldn't be happier.  I did have to have him send me a new dismount tip at one point when I attempted to remove some 1940's original Jeep tires and bent the mounting bolt, but other than that its been a fantastic addition to the garage.  I just swapped the tires on my 522xi over the holidays and the mount/dismount part of the dance only took me maybe 20mins total for all 4 tires........and that included adding tubes, working by myself, and without the changer bolted down.  Bolting it down and/or having a 2nd set of hands makes it a breeze.

• Like 3

Lee1977
4 hours ago, RJR49 said:

I used a 4X4 and the front end weight of an F-350 Super Duty to break the bead on a Corvette rear tire. Barely enough weight if you can believe that. A Wheel Horse tire should be much easier. But, that just breaks the bead. getting the tire off is a different story. Also there is a YouTube video showing how to break the bead with a floor jack. 

A really rusted on 2 ply tire weight don't help the tire just folds straight down. They are not stiff enough to pull it lose.

• Like 2

David Blanchard

push the bead down far as you can and pour some gas into it. let it sit awhile and try it again repeat if necesary

• Confused 1

953 nut
On 1/4/2024 at 8:56 PM, Lee1977 said:

A really rusted on 2 ply tire weight don't help the tire just folds straight down. They are not stiff enough to pull it lose.

Have a couple pounds of air pressure in the tire to keep the sidewall from folding under, make up some small wooden wedges and place a wedge on each side of the jack after it has gone as far as it will. Once this is done rotate the tire a quarter turn and repeat the process. If the rim and tire are rusted together a bit of penetrating oil can be placed in the opening between the tire and rim and allowed to soak.

Lee1977
Posted (edited)
On 1/7/2024 at 8:15 PM, David Blanchard said:

push the bead down far as you can and pour some gas into it. let it sit awhile and try it again repeat if necesary

That might work if I set it on fire.   :lol:. I'm not too fond of two ply tires, but I can't cut them off. I'm trying to save the tubes they are better they any I can buy.\

They are off took way too long to save the tubes.

Edited by Lee1977

Retired Wrencher
Posted (edited)
On 11/24/2023 at 4:46 PM, ebinmaine said:

Sometimes you can break the bead by driving up on the edge of the tire beside the rim with a heavy vehicle.  

If you're not trying to save the tire a sawzall is your friend.  

If you are trying to save the tire a manual tire changer from HF will be your friend.  

Eric I have had mixed results with H/F tier changer by breaking the bead. The bead breaker is not heavy duty enough  on the big 23” Just my :twocents-02cents: I also you big spoons once the bed is broke. That make it easy.

Edited by Retired Wrencher
  • Like 1