DCwom

Raider 12 manual trans floating drive pully

DCwom

I was trying to figure out how to adjust/tighten my brake on my manual transmission Raider 12,(it looks like I just turn the connecting link from the pedal?) and I noticed the drive pulley on the clutch side can slide in & out on the drive shaft. I looked at the downloaded manual and it seems there is a set screw & key, is that all there is to keeping the pulley on? I imagine that the key is still there since I can drive it, but is the set screw the only thing that keeps the pulley in place?

ebinmaine
7 minutes ago, DCwom said:

is the set screw the only thing that keeps the pulley in place?

A set screw is fine to hold a pulley provided it's within specs. 

I've seen a LOT of them that were worn out. 

On our restorations here we no longer reinstall used set screws.  

• Like 2

pfrederi

The connecting link from pedal to brake band only moves the pedal height.  You need to tighten up the nut on the back end of the rod that closes the brake band.  #9 on #52

Screenshot 2023-11-23 155603.png

• Like 3

953 nut

A new set screw will have a sharp cupped end that will cut into the key to hold the pulley in place. I would suggest replacing both of them before damage is done to the pulley.

• Like 1

DCwom
54 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

A new set screw will have a sharp cupped end that will cut into the key to hold the pulley in place. I would suggest replacing both of them before damage is done to the pulley.

A good point, they are cheap items and I probably should have a spare key around anyway. I remember my dad replacing keys when I was a kid, one of those learning experiences I remember, because it sure didn't look like a key to me.

Thanks pfrederi for the clutch adjustment advice, now I can see the threads using a mirror, getting a wrench/socket on the nut is another matter.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, DCwom said:

getting a wrench/socket on the nut is another matter.

When we do that here I get a deep socket (9/16??) on an extension that's a foot long or so.  MUCH easier to reach from the back of the tractor.  

DCwom

Today I got to the pulley, found the key, set screw etc. The screw was loose but still in the pulley. I found that the key engages the pulley when its "all the way on", i.e. closest to the transmission housing, but when the pulley is towards the end of the drive shaft the pulley spins freely even when the trans is in gear. I'm wondering is this correct, is there a sweet when the pulley should be on the shaft? I didn't see a way to know when the pulley is centered on the key. Is "all the way on" the correct placement for the pulley?

ebinmaine

Can you please post a pic of the inside of the pulley?

I'm wondering if the key way is good all the way in.  

Handy Don
12 hours ago, DCwom said:

...  Is "all the way on" the correct placement for the pulley?

The trans pulley must align with the clutch and engine pulleys. I use a long piece of wood dowel when checking the alignment, but any straightedge of good length will do.

• Like 2