Ran d

Ammeter Indicating +10amps

Ran d

I have a 1969 Electro 12 and recently my ammeter was showing +10amps at near full throttle. Battery voltage with tractor off measured 12.7 vdc. Battery voltage with tractor at near full throttle measured 13.9 vdc. I have a couple concerns, (1) If I run the tractor for several hours with the 10 amp overcharge, will Battery voltage increase and possibly damage the battery? , (2) I am at a loss as to why the ammeter is reading 10 amps. I have 3 kohler pn 41-403-06 voltage regulator/rectifiers and all give me the same result of 10 amps overcharging. I checked continuity on the stator wires to ground and both showed no stator short to ground. Welcome any suggestions?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Load Test the battery. Weak batteries cause issues.  also use your Multimeter  or replace the ammeter to confirm the 10 amp reading...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Ran d

Load test was acceptable.

• Like 1

RED-Z06

My C100 shows over 10amps after cold start then settles around 3amps, battery sits at 14.9vdc @ 3600.

• Like 2

953 nut
On 11/22/2023 at 7:34 PM, Ran d said:

ammeter was showing +10amps at near full throttle. Battery voltage with tractor off measured 12.7 vdc. Battery voltage with tractor at near full throttle measured 13.9 vdc.

You may have a connection that is corroded or needs to be tightened. A poor connection will act like a resistor and draw current from the charging system, Clean and tighten ALL electrical connections including grounds.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1