DCwom

Solenoid trigger by grounding small lug

DCwom

I'm trying to sort out my non-standard Raider 12 wiring. I have a starter solenoid wired to a simple key switch that only engages the starter by shorting the solenoid's small control lug to ground. The coil is wired using the headlight switch, so I have to 1st turn on the coil, then use the key switch to start the engine, this mimics a typical key on, push button to start scenario. I'm thinking if I get a solenoid that's trigger by +12 volts, then I can use a key switch that has "Off", "On", and "Start" positions. My issue is that I can't seem to find any solenoids that specifically say they use 12 volts as a trigger. I'm kind of thinking that most if not all do, and my franken-wired Raider has a weird solenoid that needs a ground to activate. Ideas?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

A standard issue solenoid from a late 70s f150 will work. 

My best advice might be to rip all the questionable wiring out and set it up correctly.  

• Like 2

953 nut

solenoid.jpg.f723d3c34793a370d35d81bdbcbd14db.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

The 1961 model 701 used a solenoid that was activated by grounding small terminal.

• Like 4

peter lena

@DCwom https://www.google.com/search?q=bolt+on+electrical+lug&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS866US866&oq=bolt+on+electrical+lug&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigATIHCAIQIRigATIHCAMQIRirAjIKCAQQIRgWGB0YHtIBCTEyNDM2ajBqNKgCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8  regularly use this type of  electrical grounding  lug , on my stuff, shop around for pricing , etc. my  experience with  horse related issues , is to do a reroute on wire lay out  , eliminate chafing , binding , cable wrap coverage , die eclectic grease , insure any related spot is , paint / rust free . found a  change to wiring set up eliminates the issue . test and verify as you set up , pete   

• Like 1

Rick3478
15 hours ago, DCwom said:

I'm trying to sort out my non-standard Raider 12 wiring. I have a starter solenoid wired to a simple key switch that only engages the starter by shorting the solenoid's small control lug to ground. The coil is wired using the headlight switch, so I have to 1st turn on the coil, then use the key switch to start the engine, this mimics a typical key on, push button to start scenario. I'm thinking if I get a solenoid that's trigger by +12 volts, then I can use a key switch that has "Off", "On", and "Start" positions. My issue is that I can't seem to find any solenoids that specifically say they use 12 volts as a trigger. I'm kind of thinking that most if not all do, and my franken-wired Raider has a weird solenoid that needs a ground to activate. Ideas?

Your solenoid is normal.  Most have two coil terminals and you can switch either one.  There are also some that have just one coil terminal and the other end of the coil is internally connected to the mounting bracket, you have to switch the battery to those.  Most things have been 12V since the '50s, so if it doesn't specifically say 6V or 24V, it's "probably" 12.

• Like 1