BairleaFarm

Hub Caps

BairleaFarm

Ive ended up with a set of 12" 8" and 6"    I could sell them, toss them, or fix them?    Ive never had a GT good enough to actually use them and even though these are rough I feel they are more than salvageable.    I assume the finish is messed up on the rusted ones but a little still wool might help?    I also thought they would be cool painted on a rat rod build.    So I guess the question is what is the best way to clean these and make them look better? Id prefer shiny vrs painted.

20231110_172331.jpg

20231114_200808.jpg

20231114_200812.jpg

• Like 1

JoeM

rub with crumbled up aluminum foil to start. 

• Like 3

BairleaFarm
26 minutes ago, JoeM said:

rub with crumbled up aluminum foil to start. 

Just plain fail or do I need to add something like wd40?

• Like 1

wallfish

Dip it in water for some lubrication. Old school guys used coca cola but it doesn't really make any difference

Crumpled up foil works great for cleaning up chrome.

• Like 4

OoPEZoO
10 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Dip it in water for some lubrication. Old school guys used coca cola but it doesn't really make any difference

Crumpled up foil works great for cleaning up chrome.

As goofy as that sounds, 100% correct.  I'll add that it doesn't take much effort either.  Follow it up with a little chrome polish and they will look really nice and keep them from rusting again.

• Like 5

wallfish
2 hours ago, OoPEZoO said:

As goofy as that sounds, 100% correct.  I'll add that it doesn't take much effort either.  Follow it up with a little chrome polish and they will look really nice and keep them from rusting again.

Not great examples but I use it for cleaning up all the chrome exhaust collectors and the handles etc on these little O&R tools. Many in worse condition and some are just too far gone.

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/6292-bridges-mini-mota-drill-refresh/?tab=comments#comment-57995

https://myoldmachine.com/topic/6285-turbair-tot-2s-is-next-up-for-a-refresh/?tab=comments#comment-57934

• Like 2

953 nut

Check out this post from a few years ago.

• Like 2

c-series don

What happened to @DennisThornton he hasn’t been around here in a long time? 

wallfish
1 hour ago, c-series don said:

What happened to @DennisThornton he hasn’t been around here in a long time? 

I was thinking the same exact thing after Dick posted that link. Dennis was pretty active posting on here for a while

Handy Don
12 hours ago, wallfish said:

I was thinking the same exact thing after Dick posted that link. Dennis was pretty active posting on here for a while

When I last communicated with him via PM maybe a year ago, he was fully occupied with a number of personal issues.

• Like 1