Pokk

C160 H - PTO issue UPDATE

Pokk

Hello everyone,

Earlier, I posted an issue regarding the engine of C160 H died when I engaged the PTO. I received very good recommendations https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/105917-c160-h-stalls-when-pto-is-engaged/?tab=comments#comment-1149967

What I have learned so far is a quite strange to me. I reviewed all the pictures that I took for my C160 and found no clue that there is a safety seat switch for this wheel horse. I cannot contact the previous owner. I do not know if there was a bypass safety switch on it. However, when I connected the safety seat switch to another wheel horse seat - the PTO ran and the engine did not die.

Can anyone explain this matter? I am really confused. How can I bypass to eliminate some future frustration since I cannot fine a seat with a safety seat switch for it. 

gwest_ca

At the end of the day I see your tractor is a 1977 model which does not show a seat switch.

Do you have an electric pto clutch or a manual pto?

• Like 1

Pokk
On 10/26/2023 at 1:50 PM, gwest_ca said:

At the end of the day I see your tractor is a 1977 model which does not show a seat switch.

Do you have an electric pto clutch or a manual pto?

A manual PTO - should I check all the wire that you attached for me?

rmaynard

The 1977 C-160 did not come with a seat switch. So unless the PO rewired it, it should be easy to troubleshoot your problem. 

First, get a cheap meter. Put the meter in continuity mode or ohms mode. With the ignition off, connect one lead of the meter to the small lug of the starter solenoid shown below.

16984378320504849838311979574860.jpg.39bff40bb28dc99094f75dd3204ae120.jpg

Then connect the other meter lead to the wire on the S terminal on the ignition switch. Sitting in the drivers seat, place the PTO in the off position (pulled fully back), then fully depress the clutch. Your meter should show continuity. If not, then you either have a bad clutch safety switch, or bad PTO safety switch, or bad connector on one of the wire ends. It's just that simple.

624657715_B-6080C-120160Wiring_RED.jpg.987751b8ab9d95c81a2c79ce46d1a159.jpg

• Like 2

gwest_ca

Added a drawing with the electric pto clutch removed.

• Like 1