ML3

953 clutch/pulley

ML3

Took 953 out for ride last night. As I was pulling into garage smelled burnt belt & noticed the engine pulley was "walked out" causing belt to rub in belt guard. I gently tapped pulley back on shaft w/rubber mallet. That seemed to align the belt again but now the pulley/clutch is separated which I don't recall? It was getting dark so I didn't have much time to look into it. Assume there's some sort of set screw or something for clutch/pulley to prevent it from happening? They key is still in the shaft slot. 

IMG_20231025_184420948.jpg

• Like 1

Pullstart

There should be a set screw to keep the engine pulley in place for sure.  It might help to tighten, loosen, tighten, loosen, etc.  you can often drive the set screw into the shaft or collar enough to hold it well with that method.  As for adjusting the PTO bell, the 3/8” nuts on the bottom right corner of the picture can be adjusted in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

953 nut

When the drive pulley moved outward it moved the PTO clutch plate and sleeve with it. If you remove the outer nut on the clutch rod and loosen the bolt on the arm (19) you can pull the clutch bell (!) off and you will probably find the 1/4-20 X 1/4  set screw has come loose preventing the bell from sliding back into place. I would suggest replacing both set screws. Once the ends become dull the just don't bite into the key as well.

1490840460_Screenshot(158).png.b39e5a70df3e3872c11804d6ff28d537.png

• Like 2

ML3
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

When the drive pulley moved outward it moved the PTO clutch plate and sleeve with it. If you remove the outer nut on the clutch rod and loosen the bolt on the arm (19) you can pull the clutch bell (!) off and you will probably find the 1/4-20 X 1/4  set screw has come loose preventing the bell from sliding back into place. I would suggest replacing both set screws. Once the ends become dull the just don't bite into the key as well.

1490840460_Screenshot(158).png.b39e5a70df3e3872c11804d6ff28d537.png

Thanks! I figured it was a set screw issue. It was getting late last night so I'll look at it this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ML3

Think I got the pulley/clutch issue fixed. There's apparently 2 set screws that secure to key. The 2nd one was loose. Inspected the threads & they looked good. I re-installed them & put a touch of loctite on threads. Weather permitting tomorrow I'll drive tractor to see if it's all good, getting late & I'd have to move 3 other tractors to get the 953 out. Thanks again for the information 

• Thanks 1