KVustrud

Help Me Find My First WH!

Sailman

Hello @KVustrud! I am just down the road from you in Flowery Branch. :text-welcomeconfetti: You will find this forum to have lots of friendly folk and a "university" of knowledge. I agree with the 312 purchase. The simplicity of the tractor and the kohler engines are what I like most about the wheel horses. I know a lot of folks swear by the 520's but I have seen so many headaches with the wiring and problems with the onan that it's just not a good fit for me. But that's just me.....

Enjoy that tractor!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, Sailman said:

Enjoy that tractor!

The best advice!

I suspect the ONLY issue you’ll discover as a new Wheel Horse owner will be the insistent telepathic messages from the 312 that it needs another Wheel Horse in the garage to keep it company when you are not there!

• Haha 5

drodg33
3 hours ago, KVustrud said:

Alright, the 312 is being delivered tomorrow AM!!!!

Good job!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

KVustrud

Can’t wait! I’ll post lotsa pics! PLZ help me find a bagger lol!!

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

Did you put an ad in the classifieds ?

• Like 1

ohiofarmer
8 hours ago, KVustrud said:

Can’t wait! I’ll post lotsa pics! PLZ help me find a bagger lol!!

Well then, you might as well upgrade your membership before you run out of file space. Become a supporter as it is much easier to post pictures anyway..

The only weak areas on a 300-500 series tractor that i know of are the front hood pins wallow out and the transmission belt tensioner pulley can do the same. Once the swing bar that has the pulley attached wears through the plastic, it starts to shake and it eats the thin sheet metal of the tunnel frame. Prevention is much easier than the repair. You have to loosen the right foot rest and remove the belt guard to examine for wear

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2

KVustrud

Well, I got it! And it’s absolutely amazing! I’ll post pics soon! It’s all so smooth! 

How do I adjust the deck level front-to-back? Need to lower the front a little bit. 

• Like 1

KVustrud

I see the rod on back of deck now. Will lever correctly and get to cutting! 

• Like 2

KVustrud

Pics!

IMG_8208.jpeg

IMG_8210.jpeg

IMG_8209.jpeg

IMG_8211.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7

Sailman

Wow! That looks to be in GREAT condition. Congratulations on a good find. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

She looks great.    You made the right choice.    :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

peter lena

@KVustrud   agree on the looks / condition  , make the thought to maintain that look / condition . would personally stay away from a bagger , basically  a rot box on wheels , rarely looked at / serviced /  cleaned out . recent experience with a bagger / horse , sold the " bagger / rotted deck " for parts .just my own thought on a recovery. experiment with deck cutting height ,the higher the better discharge , and less build up under the deck .good looking unit , Pete 

• Like 1

KVustrud

The tire wheel combo looks so good! I can’t believe how smoothly the deck runs!

• Like 3

peter lena

@KVustrud  SMOOTH RUNNING DECK ?  wow , sounds like past owner stayed after it , correct lubricants . you might ask past owner what he used / did for easy deck operation .  good looking belts , says a lot . also note washed up  TRUNNION on PTO lever rod end. no sloppy play , the details are telling you about care , stay after what ever he did , Pete

• Like 1

KVustrud

I plan on making this last my lifetime! 

how do I tighten the clutch pedal tension? I prefer it a little tighter than it is. 

• Like 1

KVustrud

Got the deck leveled and cut the backyard! Needs some new blades probably but it sure does cut nice and even!!

• Like 1

peter lena

@KVustrud  get some aerosol penetrating oil / spray into every movable , joint / connection end , make the rust run out . then a re grease with aerosol , RED GREASE , also add a washer or 2, to firm up the ends, lubrication and more secure function , make it work easier . while you are at it , remove the shifter/ gate on the center console, 4 Philips screws . see the ends of the lift lever , cross shaft ? , bronze bushings ?also get some penetrating oil into the top of lever push pin point , watch for rust run out at bottom , just about any horse I have seen , was loaded with rusty everything , once you free up a movable function , enhance it , you will be on the hunt to improve similar spots , greasy , pete   

• Like 2

953 nut
18 hours ago, KVustrud said:

plan on making this last my lifetime! 

:text-coolphotos:                                                       :handgestures-thumbupright:

With proper maintenance a Wheel Horse will outlast several generations of owners.  Several times a year we have posts from proud new owners of Grandpa's old Wheel Horse that is still working well.

• Like 4

Brockport Bill

enjoy your 312 - i bought 312-8 new in 1989 - here is my son plowing photo in winter of 1989 year one of owning -- amazing machine - - well over 2,000 hours now -- mowing , plowing, aerator, roller, tiller etc -- take care of it and it will take care of you

wh 312-8 wrs.jpg

wh 1989 matt plowing.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4

KVustrud

Can someone explain to me how the deck height adjustments are supposed to work?

Is the screw knob used at all for mowing deck? I’m assuming that’s for other attachments with varying heights that don’t ride on the ground like the mower? The mowing deck rides in the ground and height is adjusted via the lever on the deck with different notches. But when I try different notches on that, it only changes the height of the rear of the deck and not the front. It’s like the front is hung and not going up and down….

I’m sure this is simple enough, but I’m clearly not doing something right or something is not setup correctly. 

Edited by KVustrud
  • Like 1

Ed Kennell

You are correct.  The screw knob is not used to adjust the deck cutting height.  The rear wheels do determine the deck height.     Check to see if the vee notch in the front deck support is engaged in the correct rod.

• Like 1

953 nut

There is a rod with a trunnion and nut to adjust level from front to rear when the wheels are contacting the ground. Not sure this manual is for your mower but they are all about the same.

1810762635_Screenshot(157).png.a070e443294ee7dc8f247eb729a0224a.png

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
18 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

There is a rod with a trunnion and nut to adjust level from front to rear 

He said he did level the deck back on post 32.     Now he says the front doesn't change elevation when he adjusts the rear deck height wheels.

Pictures of the front attachment and the rear leveling rod may help deternine the problem.

• Like 1

KVustrud

I did level it front to back, but couldn’t get the deck to go any lower. Figured it out. The nut on the height adjustment was not all the way down. Leveled and working correctly! 

New set of blades ordered! 

Edited by KVustrud
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
On 10/21/2023 at 3:10 PM, KVustrud said:

I plan on making this last my lifetime! 

how do I tighten the clutch pedal tension? I prefer it a little tighter than it is. 

My 314-8 had a gas clutch shock on it. I removed that and added a old school clutch spring. Alot more tention and works really great. Might wanna look into that. 

• Like 2