Sign in to follow this  
45to70

Oil coming out of valve port on K161

45to70

Hi, With the help of the good folks on here have managed to keep my 753 running these past few years.  Had the valve cover off some time ago and wonder if I put in back on correctly or the oil coming out of the port is due to some other problem.   Engine seems to be running fine, just can't keep oil in it.   Used RTV Black when the cover went back on, it does not seem to be leaking around the edges.  Winters coming on and the old girl has lots of wood to haul.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by 45to70

Gasaholic
47 minutes ago, 45to70 said:

Hi, With the help of the good folks on here have managed to keep my 753 running these past few years.  Had the valve cover off some time ago and wonder if I put in back on correctly or the oil coming out of the port is due to some other problem.   Engine seems to be running fine, just can't keep oil in it.   Used RTV Black when the cover went back on, it does not seem to be leaking around the edges.  Winters coming on and the old girl has lots of wood to haul.  Thanks in advance.

2 piece valve box cover - the inner plate with the reed on it, it is easy to put it on upside down with the oil drain-back hole up top.  Also that hole if plugged will do the same thing. It's just a little (about 1/16 inch or so diameter) hole drilled in the plate a little above the gasket sealing surface - should have noticed it while cleaning off old gasket. using RTV very possibly squeeze-out plugged that hole. 

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Just a thought...see if your breather cover is blocked,  or put together upside down. :eusa-think:

45to70

OK.................looked at the engine manual and think I understand .  Taking the cover off by itself is easy.............its just all the other stuff that needs to come off to get to it.

Edited by 45to70
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sailman
1 hour ago, Gasaholic said:

2 piece valve box cover - the inner plate with the reed on it, it is easy to put it on upside down with the oil drain-back hole up top.

Bought a Troy Bilt "Horse" tiller a few years back. The big one with PTO drive probably from the 80's. PO was selling it for his brother who passed and had apparently not even used it. Has the Tecky motor and when I fired it up it smoked like crazy. Read about the reed plate upside down and checked it and sure enough it was. Must have been installed wrong from the factory as the tiller was like new. Turned reed plate with the hole down and runs like a charm with no smoke.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

45to70

Well, took her apart and it was back together correctly, but seems some moron got RTV in the oil drain hole.  That guy has been plaguing me for 72 years.  If I ever catch up with him am going to #@%&^@%$ his rear end.

Thank guys.............you put me on the right track.....................again!

• Thanks 1