JoeM

Gzzzzz

JoeM

@WHX?? if you did not use that oe filter yet look down inside and tell me if there is a bypass valve visible or take a pic

• Like 1

WHX??
25 minutes ago, JoeM said:

I fgure dirty oil flowing is better than no oil at all. 

I figure if the owner is ignorant about regular oil changes he deserves a blown motor.

No not installed yet will check on the bypass. 

JoeM
10 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

I figure if the owner is ignorant about regular oil changes he deserves a blown motor.

Agree

Probably why I am taking on less and less of these jobs. Just beer money now that I drink less......often.

• Haha 1

JoeM

checked local JD dealer here, good price and closer than the farm store 

image.png.d4993a5bd1e3652796f6949e68cde9b2.png

bds1984

Here are my thoughts on filters...  Don't pay the price for the OEM engine filters and stay away from the Orange Can of Death (Fram).  There are many other better alternatives out there for much less.  My 2017 Ford Fusion has the same threads and baseplate as all my Wheel Horses so they all get the same oil filter, usually a Purolator Boss, Mobil 1/K&N, or WIX.  There are longer filters that can be substituted in place but I have to make sure they have the bypass valve in it.  Transmission filters I need to be a little more selective about running if I cannot find the OEM or equivalent.  Flow rate, filtration size, and burst strength are nearly identical between many engine oil and hydraulic filters so what needs to looked at is the bypass valve.  No bypass on hydro filters!  I've ran engine oil filters on hydro transmissions as long as there isn't a bypass valve on it and all is well, the world didn't come to an end and my transmission is functioning just fine!  

• Like 1

WHX??

Here we go Joe oem JD ... no idea if this has a by pass or not. Not sure how to tell. 

20230919_175643.jpg

20230919_175619.jpg

Can tell you where it was made tho... not exactly Horicon or Moline USA...:lol:

20230919_180033.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 1

JoeM
20 hours ago, WHX?? said:

no idea if this has a by pass or not. Not sure how to tell.

I had the old OE JD filter in the drain pan and cut r open. Yep, that is the bypass valve, not much media tho. 

image.png.a84358d60643a70e06c5d686b71b5034.png

image.png.529973edb7fdf3f0fd2499bbe7a07574.png

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Thanks Joe was going to do just that so saved me the trouble.  Yes not much for media there . Next time may consider the longer one Squonky mentioned. 

• Like 1

bds1984

That is an awfully short filter!  My 315-8 came with one on it very similar to that.  I cannot go too much longer as there will not be enough clearance which may be the case for others.  I can fit a Purolator PL 10241 filter just fine but nothing longer.  If one really wants to up their game, they can use a remote filter like many Cubs do.  I put one on the M18 that is on my 520H and can easily run the Purolator PL3001/Motorcraft FL1A/Fram PH8A size but I currently have a Purolator PL20195 from when I had a Thunderbird SuperCoupe.  There is a lot we can run for filters if we know what to look for.