c100rider

Spindle mod

c100rider

Hey y'all. I have a 74 c100. I was wondering if anyone has updated the mower deck to modern spindles and pulleys. 

gwest_ca

The mower decks for the 300-Series till the end of production will fit correctly on your tractor. The is the beauty of Wheel Horse.

What deck do you want? Width of cut? Side or rear discharge?

• Like 2

Lee1977

Yes I did it twice from Double D's to 3/4 keyed and then to  Metric' It's a 1977 48MSO1 with original modifited cast Iron pulleys. It also has oil soaked Dogwood rollers with brass bushing.

SAM-0923.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 2

c100rider

The year tractor i have is a 74. Its a 42inch side discharge. I stripped the whole deck and rebuilt everything including the spindles. I was able to mow my yard a handful of times when I accidently hit a rock and now one of my outside spindles is messed up. I haven't examined it yet but I think I want a stronger spindle housing and guts. Besides, blades are hard to come by from my research

IMG_20230624_164418_01.jpg

IMG_20230624_164418_02.jpg

c100rider
On 9/17/2023 at 8:03 PM, Lee1977 said:

Yes I did it twice from Double D's to 3/4 keyed and then to  Metric' It's a 1977 48MSO1 with original modifited cast Iron pulleys. It also has oil soaked Dogwood rollers with brass bushing.

SAM-0923.jpg

Interesting. I dont fully understand how to use the original pulleys. I've looked online for spindle housing that are compatible but im wary to buy.

Lee1977

They were bored out faced off on each side and new new steel with 5/8" holes was pressed in to fit the metric spindles.  I'm not a machinest but I have several friends that are' my spectialy is manufacturing engerning techology.

I had made a drawing of what required to fix the cast iron pulleys se on metric spindles , but it was lose on an old computer.

The 42'"  and 48" deck  spindle housings for 3/4? keyed spindles and 17 mm metric spindles are the same.  To change from the 3/4" keyed to metric you also need the sleve for the 17mm spindle.. The Double d's are a different housing.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Thanks 1