TDF5G

MINI TIRE CHANGER

TDF5G

I recently bought the mini tire changer from Harbor Freight and mounted it to a shaft that fits into the receiver hitch on my pickup. The C clamps didn't hold it well enough so I fabricated some angle iron that worked great to hold the base in place. My vise on my workbench is too high and I don't have any other work tables or benches to mount it to. The changer works very well. The most difficultly I had was mounting the second bead. A person needs 3 hands as the mounting tool needs to be held down, while pulling on it with another hand and pushing down on the opposite side of the bead all at the same time. I changed three 8" tires and have 4 more to do in the near future.376274537_3503626196566106_3749610725550426770_n.jpg?_nc_cat=105&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=4c1e7d&_nc_ohc=5RMTd--HDCsAX_Ae_qk&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-2.xx&oh=00_AfBcNSQKEvswBsASxvQIgWV_8jlUr-9UNGrBaLiaGYyiFA&oe=650AF358376741185_3503626469899412_3808827497487602041_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-7&_nc_sid=4c1e7d&_nc_ohc=y2RTERxfDkYAX_CJ_dl&_nc_ht=scontent-ord5-1.xx&oh=00_AfAMi7JWBmAybVhtSehlpuqYAJ1C2Vhc8PtfMJRe-jUpIA&oe=650A30A4May be an image of grinder and drill pressNo photo description available.

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

WHX??

Have had one for awhile now and well worth the money. 

Mounted on a bench with wheels but don't work worth a hoot. I have no bench space either so hitch is a good idea.  

• Like 2

ri702bill

Diluted dishwashing soap makes a great tire lube.

The smaller the tire size, the more you struggle to get the second bead on......

• Like 2

TDF5G
52 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

Diluted dishwashing soap makes a great tire lube.

Yep. That's what is in the spray bottle.

WHX??

I use windex... just because that's what's out in the shop. :)

Works ok. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

JoeM

use go jo for lube and only put it on half the tire. the part of the tire i start under the rim is dry so it bite and holds. another trick to free up a hand is a couple pair of vise grips. clamp on the rim where the tire is started but if will mark up the rim. 

• Like 2

TDF5G
6 hours ago, Joey Small Block said:

use go jo for lube and only put it on half the tire. the part of the tire i start under the rim is dry so it bite and holds. another trick to free up a hand is a couple pair of vise grips. clamp on the rim where the tire is started but if will mark up the rim. 

Yeah, I tried the vise grips, but they always ended up in the way when the mounting tool came around. I need a little more practice with it.