ksellers

First Wheel Horse

ksellers

This week I purchased a wheel horse tractor at an auction for my boys. Since purchasing, I have done research on them and have a few questions I hope someone can assist with! What is the exact model of this one? It has an H60 engine on it, however, I am not able to find a tag anywhere on it. When I purchased it, the transmission was locked up. I found that it was dry and just needed some assistance getting the pulley spinning, what kind of oil does everyone run in their transmissions? Is 90 weight acceptable? 

After getting it home, I took off the recoil starter and cleaned out the mouse nest, I checked it for spark and it doesn't seem to have any. Are parts readily available for these or should I consider a powerplant change?

Thanks in advance!

20230915_222044031_iOS.heic

20230913_231948780_iOS.heic

• Like 3

pfrederi

Welcome

Apple pictures are hard for some here to see/download. 

You have an early Lawn Ranger.   1962-1964 probably someone will have a better guess

20230913_231948780_iOS.jpg

20230915_222044031_iOS.jpg

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 5

gwest_ca

Anything here?

Tractor 1964 34R Lawn Ranger Serial SS.jpg

• Like 3

WHGuy413

Welcome!

Definitely a lawn ranger. The Tecumseh h60 is correct I believe. You can still purchase all new electronics for them. I found my last stuff on ebay. All the electronics are located under the flywheel. Setting the timing can be a bear but there are some great videos on YouTube. 

Edited by WHGuy413
  • Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

Nice Lawn Ranger! 80 - 90wt or 90wt oil for the transmission will work great. Looks like others have you covered on where to search for ignition parts.

• Like 1

WHX??

If the transmission needs oil you may want to flush it first. Put diesel ir kerosene in it after you get it running. Run it around abit and drain. Repeat if alot of sludge comes out. When relatively clean fill to the top of the plug with the oil Dan said. :WRS:

• Like 4

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti: to the :rs:     You have found a great little tractor that deserves to be preserved.

Please do all you can to keep it original.       Looks like the boys have you off to a good start.  We are here to help.

• Like 3

ksellers

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will continue tearing into it. I don't have a puller big enough to get the flywheel off but I will get one. I did find the serial number, it appears to be 72360.

One last question for the time being, what is the best way to get the steering wheel off? I found that the pin was not there, I have it soaking currently. All of my pullers will grab on the plastic versus the metal part of the steering wheel,

• Like 1

oliver2-44

You can go to the manual section here and find them for your engine and tractor. 
Removing WH steering wheels (and axle hubs) are part of the Right of Passage to owning a Wheel Horse. Success is like learning a secrete handshake. 
Penetrating oil and time are your friend. Even though you think the pin is gone, see if a 1/4” drill bit will go through the hole.  If you can get a bearing separator under the wheel with some split washer on top of it to catch the bottom of the metal center. Then you puller can pull up on the bearing separator. 
some ultimately have cut the steering shaft and taken it to a press. Then welding or using a coupler to rejoin the shaft. 
Cutting the shaft doesn’t qualify for the secret handshake. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

gwest_ca
2 hours ago, ksellers said:

I did find the serial number, it appears to be 72360.

Is the serial number similar to the postage stamp in the above picture?

Is it possible the serial is A-72360?

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

pfrederi

You do not use a puller for Techy flywheels.

Service manual  click on picture to get it

fly.JPG

• Like 3

953 nut

:WRS:

Very nice Lawn Ranger, you and your son will build lots of memories with it.         

11 hours ago, ksellers said:

Thanks everyone for the feedback! I will continue tearing into it. I don't have a puller big enough to get the flywheel off but I will get one. I did find the serial number, it appears to be 72360.

One last question for the time being, what is the best way to get the steering wheel off? I found that the pin was not there, I have it soaking currently. All of my pullers will grab on the plastic versus the metal part of the steering wheel,

Penetrating oil and patience will be your best friend when removing parts that haven't moved in six decades. Use frequent applications of Liquid Wrench or the penetrant of your choice  and don't rush into it. When you do begin to remove bolts and nuts begin by going clockwise (tightening) just a little bit and then add more penetrant and give it some time to soak in.

confucius-say.png.fca535f3059d88f425e7cf35ce352719.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ksellers
10 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

Is the serial number similar to the postage stamp in the above picture?

Is it possible the serial is A-72360?

You are correct, it is A-72360, I missed the A when looking at it last night.

• Like 1

ksellers
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

You do not use a puller for Techy flywheels.

Service manual  click on picture to get it

fly.JPG

Thank you, I will look into getting the knock-off tool

gwest_ca

Click on the picture in the link

In 1962 Wheel Horse started using a 62-xxxxx serial for tractors and a A-xxxxx for the attachment serials.

They used up the unused serials in the following years.

• Like 3

ksellers

Thanks for the info! I was able to get the flywheel off today, everything looks alright. I will continue testing the parts to see if I can isolate the spark issue! Spent a little time tonight and it appears that it is the off switch that was causing the problem. I unhooked that and I have nice blue spark. 

Edited by ksellers
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44
On 9/16/2023 at 3:26 PM, pfrederi said:

20230913_231948780_iOS.jpg

@ksellers I noticed the oily rear rim which suggest it needs rear axle transmission seals and possible axle bearings. With the tractor jacked up and the rim & tire removed check if you can move the hub/axle up/down any. Any movement more than a tiny tiny bit indicates the bearings are worn.  If you just replace the seals and have worn bearings the new seals usually don’t last very long. The good news is you can drive it around awhile with a slight seeping seal. When the time comes these transmissions are not hard to rebuild and there are videos on here by our own Stevasarus showing how to do it. PS. Don’t use a 3 jaw puller on those axle hubs, they will break. When your ready, ask and the guys will show you how to pull hubs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1