Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

Looks like I'm going to get 654 or a 602

Rogue

That guy I know has a couple tractors I was looking at. The one is a 64' 654 6HP Lawson. Everything runs and it doesn't look half bad. From my limited understanding he made it an electric start and rigged a kill switch. He said I need to get an in dash kill switch. Comes with a 32" deck - 300.00

He also had a 602 Kohler, I forgot which hp. (6 I think) But, the engine needs to be rebuilt, if it can be.... eitherway he said he has another engine I can have. This ones a pull start, needs a gas tank, maybe even the engine and must be painted and the seat needs the cushion. Comes with 32" deck and plow for 250.00

I was looking for a project for my 9 yr old son and I. I am figuring this will be his tractor... as long as he let's me play with it.

I have no idea how original either are... as I don't know that much about them. I am trusting him... he says they are both completely original.

Any thoughts or suggestions on either or for that matter which I should choose, if any....

whfan74

Well if he stated that they are completely original I would be a little leary. He did mention that he "rigged" up an electric start with a modified kill switch. If he cut corners with this, then I am very curious on what other areas he bypassed.

Of course if you had pictures to share many of the more knowledgeable guys on here could spot good and bad things in a heartbeat.

In my opinion he sounds a little high on price on what you described. Again that is my opinion and others may not agree.

Get us some pictures and we will go from there.

Good luck in whatever choice you make. :thumbs2:

Rogue

Fantastic idea. Don't know why I didn't think of that... I'll see if I can't get over there tomorrow and take some snap shots.

linen beige

There was no 602. Now if it is a 603 it is well, kinda collectable.

More than likely a 702. If so it should have a 7 HP Kohler K-161s electric start engine.

Rogue

Yeah, all the numbers are starting to get confusing... I know he said the 654 was a year newer than it. So it must have been a 63'. and pullstart. I know it has the longer foot braces not the stirrups.

I'm trying to figure out how I go over and say "Hey, it's not that I don't trust you... but I need some pictures for the boys on redsquare to verify if this is all original" Without insulting him. "Oh, sorry, I forgot to take pictures" This guys going to kick me right in the arse. - lol

I tried searching both series on here and nothing came up. Do they go under another name? I would love to get as much info as I can about these things so I don't have to keep driving you guys nuts with the same-o, same-o

Thanks for the help :thumbs2:

Rogue

Okay, turns out it's a 603, not a 604. The other, I'm sticking to my guns. It's a 654 :thumbs2:

wallfish

The 654 should have a Tecumseh H60 motor with electric start and have a keyed switch for the starter and kill. If he "made it" electric start then it is not original but could be a 604 which is modified to have electric start. I believe the 604/654 are the same tractor with the exception of the electric start components. I'm no expert but I own a 654.

mcwh1950

just to confuse you some more the 654 could be a 1964 604 recoil start turn into a electric start

the 654 stand for

6= 6 hp

5= electric start

4=1964

the 654 should if been a electric start from the get go

Rogue

Awesome info. :thumbs2: Thanks

I know he said the 654 was a Lawson, maybe he is mistaking. As for the 603, that was a Kohler. But needed heavy rebuilding, if it can be rebuilt. Said he would give me another engine for it in case it couldn't.

Any key factors to look for?

I noticed in the WH manual they showed the 654 with headlights and no back rest on the seat. I didn't see any headlights on his and it had a back rest. The tires on his, looked like turf savers. Not the old style tractor tires like pictured in the manual. And last but not least, it had big chrome hubcaps. Maybe these were all options or this is far from original?

Is there a place where I can familiarize myself with the different variations of the 654?

Sorry for playing 20 questions.

P.S. I'm waiting for him to call me back so I can go take some photos.

wallfish

Here is the link for a couple pics from the picture gallery.654 First is my piece of crap but almost complete and second is Stone Henge's very nice and restored machine.

I believe the items you listed were all options.

Don't worry about asking a bunch questions, that's what this place is for.

Rogue

Thanks Wallfish. I'm going nuts trying to educate myself with this thing before I go back to get it Monday. :thumbs2:

I'm 99.9% Sure were buying the 654.

HorseFixer

Did I here some one mention a Round Hood! :thumbs2::ychain: :thumbs: