Gunny

Tecumseh issues on cold starting

Gunny

My first Teccunseh, 16 Horse.  Runs great when get started, but must use rag with gas at carb initially..  Being gravity fed, I have almost full tank of gas. 

Clean fuel, all fuel lines new, carb cleaned and adjusted Now the question, What can I do to assist with a cold start?

Thanks,

Dennis

Gasaholic

Hmm, and here I just wrote a reply in another thread about long crank times... but my checklist I wrote there is pretty much the same as I'd check on a Tecumseh... If it runs perfectly once it is running, then problem is in start-up, and all the same things apply as to a long crank time issue.  - 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I know enough to be dangerious when it comes to Tecumseh's.  I've had the Wheel Horse 502 with the original HT55C-3088...ran good if you used it every other day.  Had a 502 with a H-60 that ran good if you used it every other day.  Had a REO-65 that started and ran for a while and then quite for no reason...H-60  I have an Ariens Snow Blower with a 3.5 Tecumseh that runs good through the years (1985)...if you spend the time to replace the pump hoses in the fall.  The problem with all of them, is they are pull starts...except my snow blower has an electric start if you use it...and I do.  Pull starts are not you friend when you reach a certain age.  They are good engines and I have, really, nothing bad to say about them...except that they have become very hard to find parts for.  

Jim, when it comes to a cold start, it is all about the choke and the fuel pump.  :eusa-think:

• Like 3

peter lena

@Gunny   personal experience , says , a detailing on  choke cable function , and  a fuel check valve  , vertically , just before carb . holds fuel in place , to work with a choke that assists . that fuel pull in . grandson in the marines , second   phase of loadmaster / crew chief , c130j  , Pete

• Like 3

Gunny

Thanks all.

About the time I hit send on my post, I saw the one byJim.  Good info by all.  This Techy is stromg, ready to get it to work.

Pete,

Good news about your Grandson.  C130 is a good aircraft, was the work horse of the Corps back then.  Jumped out of many of them in the 70's and 80's.  I know you must be proud.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
19 hours ago, Gunny said:

carb cleaned and adjusted

You may want to take a second look at the float setting.         :confusion-shrug:          It could be a bit low and the airflow past the venturi in the carburetor at slow cranking speed just can't create enough vacuum to pull the fuel up. 

• Like 1

peter lena

@Gunny  yes proud is the word , my son was in 3rd ranger batt , and was really on him , 6 months out , running every day , swimming every other day , full clothes pool time / boots , he aced basic, EGA  , little over a year out and at this stage . be home for  Christmas .  grandpa , Pete