mark1111

1077 b-100 8 speed transmission

mark1111

i have a 1977 wheelhorse b-100 8 speed transmission when i got it   it was full of sand and no fluid sbut would almost go in all gears but rebuilt now it goes in 2nd and third but when in neutral wont pull back far enough to go into 1st are reverse. plz help with what might be the issue.

squonk

You say it was rebuilt. By whom? There was sand in it. My first guess is there is still sand in the bore for the shift forks keeping them from moving fully.

In this picture one half of the case is missing. The 2 pins on the right are the forks. They have to be able to slide back and forth and the other half of the trans case has bored holes they slide in. If the bores have sand in them they wont be able to slide all the way forward (if the trans is in the tractor to get first and reverse)

DSCF9250.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Here is a couple of things to check.  Is the shifter hitting the sheet metal plate keeping the shifter from comming back far enough?  Take off the sheet metal.  If you pull out the shifter from the trans, can you shift both forks with a heavy screw driver?  Is your shifter mounted correctly, that is...the dog point set screw in the doughnut hole and shifter not sloppy?  Is this the correct shifter?  Is your transmission mounted to the horse without spacers which would put your transmission a little further back from where it is supposed to be?  

Spuonk was talking about sand in the shift rail pilot holes, but that shouldn't prevent you pulling back the shifter to reach the shift fork...unless the shift fork is not in the correct position.  Pull the shifter and check those forks.  Maybe you can bend the shifter to give you more reach.  :eusa-think: