Sign in to follow this  
Volvoman

Why would anyone do this?

Volvoman

Why would anyone do something like this?

hitchpin3.jpg

Here's the other side of the hitch mounting pin.

hitchpin1-1.jpg

These photos are of the atrocity on the back of a 753 that I recently brought out of mothballs, did some repairs to it, and now it is running like new again....except that I can't pull anything with it due to the unbelievable act perpetrated on it by a P/O. Before I attempt anything at all in an effort to remove the rusted-in-place portion of the hitch mounting pin, what would be the best plan of attack? I surely don't want to break the transaxle housing by applying too much force or trying something more brutal to get the remains of the pin out of there. Suggestions anyone?

Vvm

CasualObserver

Ooh... that looks like a doozy. Frozen hitch pins have been the topic of many, many discussions here.... try searching for some and see what you can find. Till then... PB Blaster, Kroil and heat will be your new best friends. That one looks like it was cut off one side, tapped in a little bit and then cut off on the other side. It's moved before... it'll move again.

Here's one from not too long ago.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php/topic/8735-hitch-pin-removal/

W9JAB

:thumbs2: Turn it on the side,add pb blast and soak it for weeks, not days or hrs. after a good soak, you should be able to drift it out. But once again soaking time is the key :thumbs: Also it looks like a break not a cut.

Rollerman

Cutting a froze slot hitch off is pretty common.

I've done that myself several times to remove the slot hitch & have a better chance at removeing it. :thumbs2:

Like Jason sugested try attacking it with your favorite brand of penatrateing oil & some heat.

Also work it through the trans case towards the thicker side.

Drilling a hole through the center may help to....if it still won't budge....keep drilling.

Lane Ranger

When you get that out replace it with one of these for less headaches in the future!

Also here is a closeup photo of one of the TSC 3/4 inch round by 6 and 3/4 inch long. You can buy them for less than seven dollars and they can be quickly removed and the regular hitch(s) can be removed. Other RedSquare Members have provided more details on use of this pin and it is a big improvement for ease of changing or removing hitches.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...t=0entry83701

Forum: Work in Progress and Modifications

whfan74

Also if you are tapping it from one direction, make sure you are tapping it toward the side of the case that is bigger. The case will be bigger on one side of the split than the other. If you try and tap it down toward the skinnier side you are probably going to split the case.

So what I would do is tilt it on to it's left side, soak that bad boy for quite a while like the other have mentioned and then work it out out from top to bottom.

I hope that makes sense.......

Good luck!

bo dawg

I had one that was stuck and nothing seemed to work, beating on it with all the penetrating stuff (PB blaster). So my friend took a gas torch and got it good and hot and took candle wax to it. The heat pulled the wax in and with in seconds I pushed it out with a screw driver (could have used finger but too hot).

Maybe I was just lucky :thumbs2:

wh500special

Maybe I was just lucky :thumbs:

:thumbs2:

Sometimes they are just stuck and no amount of magic oil, wax, praying, heat, cussing, or patience will get them out. All you can do is hope that some combination of the things mentioned above will get it out. No one method works on all pins.

If not: drill baby, drill! Just make sure your initial punch hole is close to the center so with each increasing drill size you're not nicking too much of the casting. Eventually you'll get it out.

Steve

Jim_M

I had one stuck so bad that nothing would loosen it. I drilled it dead center with a 21/32" drill and was able to peel the rest out with a chisel.

Volvoman

Lots of great suggestions. Thanks to everyone for weighing in on this one. Guess I'll play it safe to start with......will tip the tractor on it's left side for a few weeks and let some PB Blaster soak into the little well on the right side of the hitch mounting pin hole. Then put a 3/4" drift into an air chisel (thanks for suggesting this Kelly) and try air impact to loosen it and hopefully push it out. Heat will be the last resort, as it could cause some other issues, like burning out the gasket (another hint from Kelly). Again, thanks for all the Red Square forum members for the terrific suggestions. Vvm.

linen beige

Here's another tip. Drill and tap the end of the pin in the wider side of the tranny case for a 3/8 grade eight bolt. tighten the bolt into the hole and try turning the pin with a wrench or socket (after soaking it with penetrant.). This gives you possible movement in twice as many directions as just beating on one end or the other. You can still drive a punch against the other end.

norman

PB blast and let it soak for a day or so and an air chisel is what I have done....... They are cheap at the parts store and they have saved my !@#$ on a few occassions..

Air chisel

Attached Image

post-3-1250337723.jpg

stevebo

Looks like you need that thing pressed out-good luck

rwilson

Go to your local auto parts store and buy a balljoint press. Saved me a time or two!

Volvoman

As rwilson suggested, a balljoint press works wonders on a job like this. Here is what I did:

DSCF1293.jpg

Not sure if this photo came through or not, as this process is not very user friendly.

vvm

Volvoman

Well.....that didn't work. Help anyone? Kind of wondering if the URL is too long....

vvm

TT

You have to use the "IMG" code for this forum - not the HTML code. :scratchead:

[img=http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac191/volvoman_photos/DSCF1293.jpg]

Then you'll get this:

DSCF1293.jpg

Volvoman

Thanks TT. I knew it probably was something simple. Will do better next time.

In any case, the 753 now has a hitch on it, and has gone to work in the field pulling a trailer to haul big ol punkins. Using the ball joint / u-joint press did the trick without breaking too much of a sweat. The pin was rusted in REALLY bad, as I did have to wrap on the end of the fine-threaded screw after each turn. PB Blaster had been sprayed onto it weekly for the past few weeks, and probably did the other 50% of the job. Pumped in some gear lube around the new hitch pin to prevent future problems anytime soon.

vvm

perry

swap the trans out with another 3spd :scratchead:

HorseFixer

Good Job! :scratchead: I like happy endings! :hide:

72morph

Thanks for the idea.My hitch broke and I have to take out my hitch pin also.Got a ball joint press and never thougt about using it.Good thinkin