ebinmaine

Wally Digger Backhoe testing

D_Mac

I " Dig " it !!

• Haha 1

Pullstart

All that hoe weight on the rear, and traction is still the limiting drive factor.  :wh:

Did you do any transmission work on it, or just the engine “tuneup”?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

All that hoe weight on the rear, and traction is still the limiting drive factor.  :wh:

Amazing isn't it?

3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Did you do any transmission work on it, or just the engine “tuneup”?

No transmission work yet. We want to finish getting this pile of stone out of the way first.

When we change the transmission and fuel tank I think I'm going to put the Carlisle Tru Power AG tires on that I've used in several other tractors. They're on Cinnamon Horse now.  

They're a little bit larger and have a more angular tread with squared off bars.

They're also fluid-filled.

Certainly won't hurt traction any.   

• Like 2

wallfish

Always nice to see that thing working! :thumbs:

Loose material under the tires is more of a problem there than the weight. But getting used to using the tractor and using different techniques will come as you try different things. Like slow continuously forward while raising the bucket will fill it quicker rather than going straight into it then lifting. Basically scraping about 3-5 inches deep off the front slope of the pile and raising it gives the material somewhere to go in the bucket. Raise up faster if the tires are losing traction or go slower forward. You can get nice full buckets that way but the limiting factor is moving it because the bucket doesn't tilt back far enough when it's lowered to prevent it from spilling out. I was going to make little extension adapters for the arms to tilt the bucket back further and the trade off is it won't dump quite as far. Not a big deal for dry material like that. Sticky mud or clay is something else. You'll get better and faster at it each time you use it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Rob J.
28 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Always nice to see that thing working! :thumbs:

Loose material under the tires is more of a problem there than the weight. But getting used to using the tractor and using different techniques will come as you try different things. Like slow continuously forward while raising the bucket will fill it quicker rather than going straight into it then lifting. Basically scraping about 3-5 inches deep off the front slope of the pile and raising it gives the material somewhere to go in the bucket. Raise up faster if the tires are losing traction or go slower forward. You can get nice full buckets that way but the limiting factor is moving it because the bucket doesn't tilt back far enough when it's lowered to prevent it from spilling out. I was going to make little extension adapters for the arms to tilt the bucket back further and the trade off is it won't dump quite as far. Not a big deal for dry material like that. Sticky mud or clay is something else. You'll get better and faster at it each time you use it

Yep a slight jerking of the bucket upward will fill that bucket better and quicker. 

Edited by Rob J.
  • Like 1

ri702bill

That there reminds me of an ex wife when the check is late - only quieter.....:angry-screaming: got attitude!!! Well done, well done John too.....

• Haha 2

wallfish

Ha. I somehow missed that quick smoothing of the tire hole the first time I watched!

Nice job!!!! Looks like you've already done quite a few of those.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
3 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Ha. I somehow missed that quick smoothing of the tire hole the first time I watched!

Nice job!!!! Looks like you've already done quite a few of those.

Thanks Mister!

I've been running equipment for quite awhile. Just not Front End Loaders or a Backhoe.  

That was literally the first time I'd attempted that.  

🤪.  

wallfish
1 minute ago, ebinmaine said:

That was literally the first time I'd attempted that. 

You're a natural then!

It would probably be a bit more intuitive with joysticks instead of levers. Especially for the hoe.

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, wallfish said:

You're a natural then!

It would probably be a bit more intuitive with joysticks instead of levers. Especially for the hoe.

I've done both types of controls on big cranes. 

Ya know....

I'm not sure if I prefer one over the other.....

Moonshine*Connoisseur

Is there any reinforcement of the front axle or spindles to handle the extra weight ?  

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

Is there any reinforcement of the front axle or spindles to handle the extra weight ?  

Off the top of my head I don't remember.  

I do have a couple other options for front axles here but it's been years like it is now. 

1. A complete set up from a 520H with HD spindles and Gear reduction steering. 

2. Leave the steering but use five lug trailer hubs on HD reinforced Wheelhorse spindles.   

If'n I'm feelin' spicy I might even combine both of those ideas.  

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

wallfish
4 hours ago, Moonshine*Connoisseur said:

All stock except for the reinforced 3/4 spindles that were part of the Ark loader . It's just a couple of brackets that reinforce the bend of stock spindles.

There's enough counter weight on that tractor to take quite a bit of the load off the front. I had front weights on there to add front weight.

• Excellent 2