Sign in to follow this  
lotus1967

Steering Wheel Play

lotus1967

I've got a 1986/87 418-8 and just this year I have sensed a tiny bit of steering wheel play. We have spent 450 happy houre together, and I want much more.

How much play is normal for this kind of hours?

Is there any adjustment to get rid of this?

I typically grease 3 times a season (Ohio), and keep proper tire inflation.

Usage has been mowing only on a reasonably flat and smooth lawn.

Any help appreciated.

MikesRJ

I've got a 1986/87 418-8 and just this year I have sensed a tiny bit of steering wheel play. We have spent 450 happy houre together, and I want much more.

How much play is normal for this kind of hours?

Is there any adjustment to get rid of this?

I typically grease 3 times a season (Ohio), and keep proper tire inflation.

Usage has been mowing only on a reasonably flat and smooth lawn.

Any help appreciated.

"Normal" play is a relative term. I see zero play as normal, even from an older machine.

Steering Wheel "play", or "lash" is manifested by loose fitting gears, bad roll pins, worn pivot pins, bad tie rods, etc. I don't know the actual design of your machine off the top of my head but suggest the following. At each check-point your looking for movement between the adjacent parts. Where you find movement of one part and not the other, is the area of repair you need to address. Start at the steering wheel and work down to the wheels.

1. Hold the steering shaft with a pair of vice grips (protect shaft with something relatively soft so as not to mar the shaft) and move the Steering Wheel. Movement?

2. Follow shaft down to its next mechanical junction and test. Movement?

3. Continue down the steering components checking each junction.

4. Repair any "loose" junction as necessary.

Duff

Mike gives great advice here! My bet, based on my 312-8's which use the same steering system, is the ball joints at the end of the tie rods have started to wear. Not a difficult "fix."

Duff :thumbs2:

kpinnc

Though I agree that any slop in the steering is undesirable- Almost ALL of my tractors have some.

A WH with perfect steering is like an old Jeep CJ with perfect steering: Some may exist, but they are few and far between.

Check the steering rods, keep greasing everything, and keep enjoying that machine!

pfrederi

First check would be tie rod ends. If there is movement you could replace them. Also look for end play in the shaft (sector gear to tie rods) if there is get some 3/4" shims (.020 0r .010 from a good hardware store or McMasters). Remove cotter pin at rear of shaft and add the shims under the washer there until you eliminate the end play.

lotus1967

Thanks for the help.Soon as it cools down a bit I'll get to the garage and run the checks.