JPWH

Mig Welder with Spool gun

JPWH

My Lincoln 100 decided to retire abrubtly so I have been looking for a replacement for a while now. I finally found one I think will suite my needs. It's a Lincoln 140hd. I also bought a spool gun from the seller. I have never used one but have been watching a lot of u tube videos and reading all I can find on the subject. Does anyone here have any knowledge you can share about using a spool gun. 

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
22 minutes ago, JPWH said:

have any knowledge you can share

No.. but :popcorn:

8ntruck

I thought a spool gun was intended for use on aluminum.  Now that I think about it, if the wire feed control is good enough, it should work on flux core steel wire.

JPWH

I did buy it to weld aluminum. I have never used one so I'm trying to learn all I can before I try to use it.

Kenneth R Cluley

Works like any other wire feed just puts the material in gun as opposed to machine. Smaller spools means less material but are easier to change, but also a little more expensive. My experience is that it gets "heavy" and is bulky and less maneuverable than standard hose/nozzle. Does the job on aluminum, be sure to use proper shield gas and control location so as to maintain shield, no fan or wind blowing etc. Watch all the videos as you learn something new from each one. Best way is to just start welding with it. Don't start on project, just practice on scrap til you get comfortable.

• Thanks 1

enamel

I used to weld aluminum boats up with a spool gun. They are ok. You have to be fairly quick. And if you welding somthing small or in tight areas the spool will get in the way. 

I don't know what you're welding,but a tig welder might be a better choice for you. Spools kinda suck, dont see many using them outside of factories. Biggest issue is a spool of wire sitting above your hand its some weight. 

• Thanks 1

JPWH

I got the Lincoln 140hd and spool gun. Got everything set up and cut some aluminum to practice on. 

What I have discovered is heat is the hardest problem to overcome. The weld starts cold then gets pretty good then goes to too hot and burn through. Not so bad on thicker aluminum and inside corner weld. Butt joints are tricky but doable. Welds are progressively looking better.

My aluminum welding mentor has been giving me pointers how to overcome the heat problems but I have not tried them yet. When I get the hours of practice in I think it will suite my needs.

• Like 1

Handy Don

Keep us posted and good luck. At some point a “before” and “after” practice picture or two?

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

:text-yeahthat: :wwp: