llphill67

1257 wheel hubs

llphill67

Bought a 1257 at auction, got it running and digging in deeper now.  Found I need to replace both rear wheel hubs due to excessive key wear, axles (1.125") fortunately look good.  Does anybody know where I can find replacements for this?  Original or aftermarket will be OK, I am going to try and repair the originals over the winter.  Thanks

• Like 1

ri702bill

Welcome!! Best to place an ad in the Wanted section of the classifieds here. There are several versions of the 1-1/8" hub - all interchangable if it has the 5 bolt pattern. SOME come with two setscrews - those are the most desirable to stop the hub from moving.

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Edited by ri702bill
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

daveoman1966

I have two 1-1/8" hubs each with TWO locking bolts..  These will most certainly fit your 1257.  They are completely sandblasted, primer, and repainted.  Key slots are NOT damaged at all...Two NEW lock bolt with Jam nuts each.  $70 per hub...  $10 to ship in USA.  If buying TWO hubs, free shipping.  Paypal

HUB 3 (2).JPG

HUB 3 (3).JPG

HUB 3 (7).JPG

HUB 3 (10).JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3

Retired Wrencher

:WRS:   Be carful when removing the hubs if they are hard to get off axel. Could cause damage inside of transmission. Just take your time with it. Also we want :wwp:

Edited by Retired Wrencher
  • Like 1

WHX??

:WRS:

Do not scrap the hubs. I can save them. 

20220912_161944.jpg

20190217_134511.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

953 nut

1257 is a great Wheel Horse Model, good power and none of the electronic thingies   :thingy:  that cause problems.           :wwp:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Achto

WHX??
3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

1257 is a great Wheel Horse Model, good power and none of the electronic thingies

Absolutely correct Richard!

20190921_192647.jpg

One if the most forgotten things on a horse is to check those set screws. Especially if the hubs were off then antisiezed and don't brown weld. Leaky axle seals can be a problem too.  

These were OK but got a extra set screws for insurance. 

20180115_165333.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 4

Retired Wrencher
20 hours ago, 953 nut said:

1257 is a great Wheel Horse Model, good power and none of the electronic thingies   :thingy:  that cause problems.           :wwp:

I am with you Richard on  :text-yeahthat: My first was a 312A to many wires and safety switches. The Saying for me is K I S.

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher
17 hours ago, WHX?? said:

Absolutely correct Richard!

20190921_192647.jpg

One if the most forgotten things on a horse is to check those set screws. Especially if the hubs were off then antisiezed and don't brown weld. Leaky axle seals can be a problem too.  

These were OK but got an imiextra set screws for insurance. 

20180115_165333.jpg

Jim That is a nice 1257. Looks to be a great worker. Heavy duty looking. I have one but it is a garage queen. I only take it out on sunny days.

• Thanks 1

WHX??

Thank you Wrencher. I get alot of compliments about how well those tires grip on the plow field. 

• Like 1

llphill67

UPDATE:  First off, thank you all for your help so far.  This weekend I dug in deeper and put a micrometer to the axles, not bad.....but not good either.  Thinking maybe I should go with a taper lock type hub, what are your thoughts?  Attached are the measurements I got.

axle specs.jpg

WHX??

I don't think they look real bad I run worse. New keys & ways & double set screws. Would be in order. 

'Course those locking hubs are the cat's meow. 

Did we ask how you are going to work her?

llphill67

OK guys, thanks for all the help again. After looking a little further, I think I'm just going to tear down the trans and completely rebuild.  Too much play in the left wheel bearing for my liking.  SO, anybody out there have a PDF of a manual that has the info I will need?  I have an operation and service manual, but it is pretty sparse on detail....pretty much just an exploded view and that's it.