WHGuy413

8 speed input binding

WHGuy413

Hi all, We have a c-121 that has a 8 speed in it. Early this past winter we got it running and it was working fine. When my son went to pull a load of firewood with it it started clicking from the transmission. It’s sat since unfortunately due to us being busy. Last week I tore into it to figure out what was wrong. I split the transmission apart and nothing seems out of place or broken. Both retainer clips are in place for the axles themselves. When the transmission was apart it seemed like everything was ok. I put it back together after cleaning it out of old oil residue. It seems to be doing the same thing it was before. When I spin the input pulley (or even the brake band) it will

spin to a point then stop. It can be forced passed the place it stops then spins again. Depending on the range it’s in it spins either one revolution and stops in the same spot or it will spin 3 or 4 (I lost count) and stop In the same spot. It does seem like it shifts ranges really hard. Could this be causing my issue? I’m confused about where to go next. I’m attaching a video from today to this post. Any help would be appreciated. @WheelHorse_Kid wants to use this tractor around the house and potentially take it to a stock garden tractor pull next month. 

https://youtu.be/bZOR8utrVOo

Lagersolut
1 hour ago, WHGuy413 said:

Hi all, We have a c-121 that has a 8 speed in it. Early this past winter we got it running and it was working fine. When my son went to pull a load of firewood with it it started clicking from the transmission. It’s sat since unfortunately due to us being busy. Last week I tore into it to figure out what was wrong. I split the transmission apart and nothing seems out of place or broken. Both retainer clips are in place for the axles themselves. When the transmission was apart it seemed like everything was ok. I put it back together after cleaning it out of old oil residue. It seems to be doing the same thing it was before. When I spin the input pulley (or even the brake band) it will

spin to a point then stop. It can be forced passed the place it stops then spins again. Depending on the range it’s in it spins either one revolution and stops in the same spot or it will spin 3 or 4 (I lost count) and stop In the same spot. It does seem like it shifts ranges really hard. Could this be causing my issue? I’m confused about where to go next. I’m attaching a video from today to this post. Any help would be appreciated. @WheelHorse_Kid wants to use this tractor around the house and potentially take it to a stock garden tractor pull next month. 

https://youtu.be/bZOR8utrVOo

A 416 I picked up a few years ago did the same thing - ticked - push it in the garage to make room - tick tick tick - tore it apart everything was pristine - couldn’t visibly see anything - trans sat on the table for days I kept looking and looking .. knew I was missing something - cleaned every gear and looked at them under a light … look for a crack - This was cracked all the way through …back the tooth … this was my tick … wasn’t from abuse -all the gears looked new .. just a defect …. took me 2-3 days of frustration to find it . Use an old toothbrush and solvent clean and inspect every gear with a light . 

IMG_7981.jpeg

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7979.jpeg

• Like 2

ri702bill

Probably cracked when the needle bearing was installed a long time ago...

• Like 1

squonk

You can spray every component with carb cleaner and walk away for 15 minutes. Any crack will show up plain as day.

It's also possible that pilot bearing is shot

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

peter lena

@WHGuy413  when you get that all sorted out , recommend the Lucas synthetic climbing gear oil , have it in my 3 horses , no noise at all , very easy shifting , would also add a tye wrap  above the new shifter boot , mounted on the metal shifter shaft , that will hold the boot in place , would also lightly lubricate the inside of the boot , so it slides over the irregular top of trans . have a lot of hours on this set up , so I  know it works . just a suggestion , pete 

stevasaurus

It could also be the hi/low shift fork.  It does seem that your issue is somewhere with the hi/low mechanism.  :occasion-xmas:

WHGuy413
56 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

It could also be the hi/low shift fork.  It does seem that your issue is somewhere with the hi/low mechanism.  :occasion-xmas:

That was something I was thinking. It shifts between the 2 ranges pretty hard. Any idea what I do for that? 

squonk
36 minutes ago, WHGuy413 said:

That was something I was thinking. It shifts between the 2 ranges pretty hard. Any idea what I do for that? 

Needs to come apart again. The hi-lo fork is flimsy. It could be bent cracked or both.

DSCF9230.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

stevasaurus

Squonk is correct.  Need to open it up and carefully inspect those parts.  Try shifting the trans when you get the one side off.  That cracked spline shaft and/or a bad bearing would for sure cause your issues...binding in the same position when turning input shaft.  :occasion-xmas:  Make sure you repeat those functions as you go back in, you may see where it is binding.

• Like 4

WHGuy413
5 hours ago, squonk said:

Needs to come apart again. The hi-lo fork is flimsy. It could be bent cracked or both.

DSCF9230.JPG

I will definitely look here. Are parts available if it’s broken?

squonk

You would probably need to place a classified. I think they are no longer available from Toro

rjg854

Or you could contact A-Z Tractor  1-717-821-2542,  and see if he has what you're looking for.  That's where I got the gears I needed when rebuilding 2 transmissions.  They are used parts but in good condition.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

That fork mechanism was available 2 years ago...around $60.  Might still be.  :eusa-think:

• Like 1

squonk

Hi lo fork # 7209 superseded to # 116636-03 NLA from Parts Tree. Listed on Mowpart available for $76.86

https://mowpart.com/shift-fork-asm-116636-03/

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1