Mike_eash

Sunstrand hydrostatic tranny stop leak?

Mike_eash

Hello guys first off I know I am going to get **** for even asking this and I know it's not the right way off doing things!

However I have been restoring a charger 10 I have painted everything and am ready for assembly it's been a long process! I have the tranny hanging to paint it (see pics) I drained all the fluid but obviously not everything comes out because I noticed a small leak has developed at the front of it. Is there anything I can do without tearing this thing apart? Any stop leak fluids  that work ? 

Any suggestions 

Thank you

20230827_123710.jpg

20230827_123710.jpg

rmaynard

First question is, was it leaking before you started? Second, can you see exactly where the oil is leaking from?

squonk

DO NOT USE ANY STOP LEAK PRODUCT IN A HYDRO

Mike_eash
35 minutes ago, squonk said:

DO NOT USE ANY STOP LEAK PRODUCT IN A HYDRO

Copy That!

It's what I figured but man I really don't wanna tear it apart 

First off I don't know anything about them

pfrederi

Put in any "miracle cure and you will have to open her up to clean out all the stuff that will get stuck in Acceleration valves and other small passages.

Where is the leak. Blue, yellow or green area

tranny.jpg

Mike_eash
1 hour ago, rmaynard said:

First question is, was it leaking before you started? Second, can you see exactly where the oil is leaking from?

As far as I know nothing was leaking before I started.

But if you can see my pics I believe it's coming from that gasket that is in the middle of the transmission right at the front part of it. 

Mike_eash
1 minute ago, pfrederi said:

Put in any "miracle cure and you will have to open her up to clean out all the stuff that will get stuck in Acceleration valves and other small passages.

Where is the leak. Blue, yellow or green area

tranny.jpg

Green area

pfrederi

Put a wrench on the housing bolts  make sure they are really tight..especially the three bottom ones

Mike_eash
3 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Put a wrench on the housing bolts  make sure they are really tight..especially the three bottom ones

I did that to the bolt that was right by the leak everything seems tight

I will try with my big impact on all 3

pfrederi

I have a couple of Sunstrands that will mark their parking spot...That is what drip pads are for....:P  Tranny holds 5qts so an ounce or 2 over a couple months isn't a big deal.  Avoids rust on teh bottom of the hydro :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mike_eash
19 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I have a couple of Sunstrands that will mark their parking spot...That is what drip pads are for....:P  Tranny holds 5qts so an ounce or 2 over a couple months isn't a big deal.  Avoids rust on teh bottom of the hydro :P

Yeah its probably what will happen in my situation 

I really hate to put something on the tractor again that's not 100% but because of the fact that I have never worked on a transmission of any kind there is a chance that I might make something worse 

When I bought this tractor My only real concern was the transmission everything else I can work on myself

We will see how it goes 

They are not hard to get to if maybe I would have to open it up in the future

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, Mike_eash said:

I might make something worse 

:text-yeahthat: Don't risk creating a big problem to fix a minor leak.

• Like 1

Handy Don
53 minutes ago, Mike_eash said:

I did that to the bolt that was right by the leak everything seems tight

I will try with my big impact on all 3

More is NOT always better. The Sundstrand manual will specify the torque needed (or a member who knows off the top of their head will chime in 😁).

Over tightening could crack the housing or strip a bolt--neither would make for a fun afternoon.

Gasaholic
1 hour ago, Mike_eash said:

Green area

Also check to be sure oil is not seeping out the tranny-to-frame mounting holes. I've seen some that had too-long bolts put in there that cracked the case and would seep oil past the bolts even when installed. 

• Excellent 1

Mike_eash
26 minutes ago, Gasaholic said:

Also check to be sure oil is not seeping out the tranny-to-frame mounting holes. I've seen some that had too-long bolts put in there that cracked the case and would seep oil past the bolts even when installed. 

Thanks I will check that out!

daveoman1966

Your Charger 10 is 50+ years old...  There is no doubt that it is in need of a Sundstrand Hydrogear overhaul just because of its age--- model 90-2046.   This is NOT DIFFICULT to do---everyone has a first time so don't be timid about this.  If you can turn a wrench and know what an O-ring is, you can manage this overhaul.  I have done so to a dozen or more and have prepared a 'How To' .pdf file as a guide to the procedure.  This file has lots of pics and I'll provide more pics as needed.  I would only caution to keep your work are clean and be meticulous in this process.  Here is the .pdf file.   

NOTE---  Gasket and O-ring kits are available for this model.   B J Hydraulics is one source.   

SUNDSTRAND HYDROGEAR refurb.pdf

• Excellent 2

Mike_eash
22 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

Your Charger 10 is 50+ years old...  There is no doubt that it is in need of a Sundstrand Hydrogear overhaul just because of its age--- model 90-2046.   This is NOT DIFFICULT to do---everyone has a first time so don't be timid about this.  If you can turn a wrench and know what an O-ring is, you can manage this overhaul.  I have done so to a dozen or more and have prepared a 'How To' .pdf file as a guide to the procedure.  This file has lots of pics and I'll provide more pics as needed.  I would only caution to keep your work are clean and be meticulous in this process.  Here is the .pdf file.   

NOTE---  Gasket and O-ring kits are available for this model.   B J Hydraulics is one source.   

SUNDSTRAND HYDROGEAR refurb.pdf 3.35 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you!!