Sign in to follow this  
pacer

older McCulloch pro mac 700 chain saw, weak spark?

pacer

Got this older Mcculloch Pro Mac 700 saw - been sitting for long time, seems to be a pretty nice saw but cant get it started. Am thinking weak spark - heres what I get ... on pull start get erratic spark, but when I spin it up with an electric drill I can get a good strong spark but it only comes in at higher rpms - probably about 1000 rpms & up, seemingly much higher than the rope pull?? Tried 3 different spark plugs and a spark tester with all giving same result

Question? about how fast must the flywheel spin to start throwing a spark?? Is my coil possibly .... weak?

Have ckd and confirmed carb/fuel is good, compression is  ... very strong! - everything OK except that seemingly weak spark....... 

These old Mac's are known for being a great saw - Made in the good old US of A, too bad they're long gone out of business.

Skwerl58

Those old McCullough were great saws. I had a couple a few years back, a 610 and pro Mac 1010, I think. They would cut like crazy and mine were dependable. I hope you get this one going, it would be a great save.