RED-Z06

Got my loader

Mickwhitt

That looks a neat machine! Very nicely turned out. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ri702bill
5 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

That looks a neat machine! Very nicely turned out. 

Once you get by the green & yellow............

• Haha 1

RED-Z06
1 minute ago, ri702bill said:

Once you get by the green & yellow............

I wish WH made something in this size with power steering and a hefty self contained hydraulic system.  The dxi models would work maybe, i just dont think the hydro system is up to the task.

• Like 2

Sailman

I love my wheel horses BUT I don't care what color the machine is if it's the right tool for the job.

• Like 2

Handy Don
2 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

I wish WH made something in this size with power steering and a hefty self contained hydraulic system.  The dxi models would work maybe, i just dont think the hydro system is up to the task.

I recently extended the hydraulics on an Eaton 1100 by adding two remote, quick connect circuits with a joystick control while keeping the existing internal cylinder & control. The charge pump capacity/pressure limit the applications to smaller cylinders that can be operated singly but it is proving to be quite handy so far.

• Like 1

Bill D
13 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I recently extended the hydraulics on an Eaton 1100 by adding two remote, quick connect circuits with a joystick control while keeping the existing internal cylinder & control. The charge pump capacity/pressure limit the applications to smaller cylinders that can be operated singly but it is proving to be quite handy so far.

Pictures?

RED-Z06
16 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

What Pressure/Flow does it put out?  The hydro on my 416 easily lifts the deck, tiny cylinder it is.  The Deere is putting out 1200psi at the remotes @ about 4.2gpm

Handy Don
11 hours ago, Handy Don said:

10 hours ago, Bill D said:

Pictures?

I'll dig some out and and post later today. The tractor has been moved to my son and daughter’s camp in upstate NY.

10 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

What Pressure/Flow does it put out?  The hydro on my 416 easily lifts the deck, tiny cylinder it is.  The Deere is putting out 1200psi at the remotes @ about 4.2gpm

The max pressure from the charge pump is 700psi, per the Eaton spec, and the flow at that pressure is 1.4 gpm at 3400 rpm (yes, it it a pretty small pump). Important to remember is that the charge pump is also bringing fluid to the low-pressure input side(s) of the motion pump/motor which is after the cylinder circuits and oil filter.

RED-Z06
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I'll dig some out and and post later today. The tractor has been moved to my son and daughter’s camp in upstate NY.

The max pressure from the charge pump is 700psi, per the Eaton spec, and the flow at that pressure is 1.4 gpm at 3400 rpm (yes, it it a pretty small pump). Important to remember is that the charge pump is also bringing fluid to the low-pressure input side(s) of the motion pump/motor which is after the cylinder circuits and oil filter.

Wow yeah definitely limited by the flow rate.  The psi could possibly be raised...i shimmed mine from 950 to 1200...but it was designed with a ton of headroom (1500psi max).

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

Wow yeah definitely limited by the flow rate.  The psi could possibly be raised...i shimmed mine from 950 to 1200...but it was designed with a ton of headroom (1500psi max).

I did some research on raising the pressure, but chose not to. I tend to respect the manufacturer specs unless I am extremely certain they can be exceeded and have a real need to do it. Neither apply here. The 1100 does use pressure relief at 50-90 psi internally to protect the input side of the motion pump, dumping the excess fluid into the “tank”, i.e. transaxle sump.

The Eaton 1100 requires external pressure relief (unlike the Sunstrands and others). I did have a hard time finding a pressure relief valve that I could set to 700 psi and a hard time squeezing/plumbing it into the chassis!

My first application is a front lift that is using the 3” cylinder from a D or a C195 rear (similar to the front lift on a JD, I suspect) but lifting on extend, not retract. It moves fast enough to not test your patience and slow enough to give good fine control (2-3 seconds up) and it’s good for 3,500+ lbs at the rod.

Edited by Handy Don

RED-Z06
10 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I did some research on raising the pressure, but chose not to. I tend to respect the manufacturer specs unless I am extremely certain they can be exceeded and have a real need to do it. Neither apply here. The 1100 does use pressure relief at 50-90 psi internally to protect the input side of the motion pump, dumping the excess fluid into the “tank”, i.e. transaxle sump.

The Eaton 1100 requires external pressure relief (unlike the Sunstrands and others). I did have a hard time finding a pressure relief valve that I could set to 700 psi and a hard time squeezing/plumbing it into the chassis!

My first application is a front lift that is using the 3” cylinder from a D or a C195 rear (similar to the front lift on a JD, I suspect) but lifting on extend, not retract. It moves fast enough to not test your patience and slow enough to give good fine control (2-3 seconds up) and it’s good for 3,500+ lbs at the rod.

As much as i hate auxiliary pumps/resevoirs..id probably modify a spare tach-a-matic tiller mule drive to run a pump, then its just a matter of what you want to run. In the 60s gear drive deeres, they used a small cessna pump/res on top of the Kohler to run the hydraulic lift.

download (16).jpeg

P1080935.JPG

Handy Don

I like the innovative use of the integral pump/tank (much like the WH HY units). Were those able to handle multiple circuits or just one?

My critical criteria included that nothing I added could interfere with mounting any standard implement.

Keep the PTO free,

keep the attach-a-matics free,

keep all the clearances required by standard implements--front, sides, bottom, rear,

keep everything within the existing “envelope” of the tractor and not impinging on the operator,

keep the standard lift mechanism fully intact.

With an 18hp Onan, there was precious little room for squeezing anything in.

Edited by Handy Don

RED-Z06
38 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I like the innovative use of the integral pump/tank (much like the WH HY units). Were those able to handle multiple circuits or just one?

My critical criteria included that nothing I added could interfere with mounting any standard implement.

Keep the PTO free,

keep the attach-a-matics free,

keep all the clearances required by standard implements--front, sides, bottom, rear,

keep everything within the existing “envelope” of the tractor and not impinging on the operator,

keep the standard lift mechanism fully intact.

With an 18hp Onan, there was precious little room for squeezing anything in.

They just had 1 internal circuit, but possibly a separate spool valve could have been fitted.

I despise removing attachments so...i have lots of dedicated tractors.  This 425 has a fully restored 54" deck too that hasnt even been installed and probably never will be...but it will slide under the 445 if the 60" breaks

Handy Don
1 hour ago, RED-Z06 said:

i have lots of dedicated tractors

I have barely room for ONE at home. Thankfully I have a generous neighbor across town that has let me have one bay of their garage for my stuff.

The modified tractor is serving my son and daughter’s camp as an all-around utility--at their request, a one tractor with lots of capability. Right now it’s running with a flail mower on the front lift and a Brinly blade on the rear (I made a custom coupler for the sleeve hitch converts it to drawbar or ball-hitch towing). They were (and remain) very reluctant to have to take care of extra engines and it’s too far away for me to be “on call."

• Like 1

RED-Z06
7 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I have barely room for ONE at home. Thankfully I have a generous neighbor across town that has let me have one bay of their garage for my stuff.

The modified tractor is serving my son and daughter’s camp as an all-around utility--at their request, a one tractor with lots of capability. Right now it’s running with a flail mower on the front lift and a Brinly blade on the rear (I made a custom coupler for the sleeve hitch converts it to drawbar or ball-hitch towing). They were (and remain) very reluctant to have to take care of extra engines and it’s too far away for me to be “on call."

Im fortunate enough to have an acre and a small bit of storage. Right now im at

Deere

445 (60")

425 (54" and Loader)

420 (60")

318 (no attachments)

Toro/Wheelhorse 

416-H (42", and Tiller)

702 (32")

C100 (42" electric lift)

312-8 (48" Blade)

Toro Z553 Zmaster (60")

Simplicity 

Legacy XL27 (60")

and 2 mowers up for sale as flips...50" troy bilt Z and 54" Husqvarna Tractor.

• Like 1

Handy Don

I’ve long admired the 425 & 445 as well as the 318 for their capabilities.

RED-Z06
55 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I’ve long admired the 425 & 445 as well as the 318 for their capabilities.

They really hit it out the park with the 318/420/430, and 4x5 series.  So capable yet not complicated to work on.

After redoing the 9 pin connector on my 416-H...id rather pull the engine out the 318 and rebuild the driveshaft again, it was easier

Handy Don
2 hours ago, RED-Z06 said:

yet not complicated to work on

I think this is because you have lots of exposure to JD stuff. The 318’s  electronics issues and the PTO or mule being located so low in front were not stellar, in my view (hence the PTO driveshaft in the later models). Also, you have to do a lot of disassembly to get deep into any of theses models--they are tightly packed.

If electrics aren’t your thing, the 9-pin is intimidating but compared to pulling an engine and rebuilding the driveshaft? I’ll take the electrics, thanks!

RED-Z06
25 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I think this is because you have lots of exposure to JD stuff. The 318’s  electronics issues and the PTO or mule being located so low in front were not stellar, in my view (hence the PTO driveshaft in the later models). Also, you have to do a lot of disassembly to get deep into any of theses models--they are tightly packed.

If electrics aren’t your thing, the 9-pin is intimidating but compared to pulling an engine and rebuilding the driveshaft? I’ll take the electrics, thanks!

Its intimidating to look at but its really easy.  Slip the pto belt off the front

(4) 1/2" bolts with speed nuts hold the hood and hood stand on, it lifts off.

(4) 7/16 bolts hold the shaft on..they are accessed from the left side.

Unplug 5pin plug

Unhook fuel line from onan pump

Unplug the starter wire and 12v power from starter.

(4) 9/16 bolts hold the engine down from below (back 2) and above (front 2).then the engine can be tilted forwards...and the Shaft slides out.

Takes about 25 minutes to get the engine and shaft out from "running".  And about 25 minutes to rebuild the shaft.

It took me 3 hours to fail to do my 9 pin and end up doing it as individual bullet connections...there was just 0 room between the engine and dash and 0 extra wire.

I haven't seen any real electronics on my 318 or 420, the time delay module is there on both but even my 318 that sat a decade in a field started right up.  The wiring is surprisingly on the nose once you realize the wiring scheme.  The oil light for example..12v applies to the light at key on, and the oil switch is grounded below 4psi..so it illuminates at key on until the ground goes away.

Here is the bulk of the wiring harness in the 318, previous owner hardwired both fuses direct by cutting them out so i added new ones...that powered up everything.

20230223_162746.jpg

RED-Z06

Loving this loader, ive put about 5hrs on it so far, i used it today to clear some fencerow overgrown with vines.

• Like 2