Sign in to follow this  
jeepdan

Mower Belt Failure

jeepdan

First time using dad's inherited 310-8 yesterday after a lengthy overhaul and found this.

The NOS belt had a section torn out of it after mowing. Having never used this model of deck before, I was very careful routing the belt, and I'm positive that it was correct. It still is routed correctly. The very old belt that I had replaced had multiple sections of one side missing.

Help or ideas requested.

Dan

DSCN5682.JPG

Edited by jeepdan

Rick3478

That looks like the dreaded six-side belt on the 37" two-blade deck.  It was not one of WH's better ideas.  The belt turns easily and once turned blows up pretty fast.  You can replace it and adjust carefully and it might last awhile.  Or you can swap three of the pulleys for flat idlers and upgrade to a V-belt.  I recommend the latter.

• Like 2

jeepdan

Thanks for the reply. 

You are correct on the model of deck/belt.

This deck has been repaired my me (rust out) a few times through the years, and it is nearing the end of it's useful life.

Currently looking for a NOS or almost new condition deck to purchase. Found a few but getting one shipped has been a problem.

Dan

Edited by jeepdan

peter lena

@Rick3478  agree with the belt  change out , done a lot of functional detailing on any belt drive set up , typically found , binding , rusty , does not apply , non lubricated collective restistance , that starts , belt deflection . would verify every stage of motion . pete

Rick3478
2 hours ago, jeepdan said:

Thanks for the reply. 

You are correct on the model of deck/belt.

This deck has been repaired my me (rust out) a few times through the years, and it is nearing the end of it's useful life.

Currently looking for a NOS or almost new condition deck to purchase. Found a few but getting one shipped has been a problem.

Dan

If you're looking for a new deck, I'd recommend a 42.

• Like 1

jeepdan
1 hour ago, Rick3478 said:

If you're looking for a new deck, I'd recommend a 42.

Thanks for the advice.

Considering trying to find a mower deck in really good shape that is reasonably close to me or someone who can ship it, I'm open for any model.

If I find something too large for the 310, I can take the 36"RD off of my 312-8 and swap.

Dan

• Like 1