Sign in to follow this  
tarcoleo

Wheel Horse Ergomomics

tarcoleo

As we age, tolerance for body stresses is less. A year ago I found that the ride

delivered to my backside on my C-111 was more than I could tolerate--that the

vertical vibrations of the seat needed to dampened out. Reducing tire pressure wasn't

enough. The answer was to change the spring rate of the seat allowing more vertical

travel.

Sooo, on ebay I purchased a seat spring original to a Deere which is U-shaped, just one

about 6 in. across the arms. The cross section of the spring around the bend was ground

down to allow just enough bouncy-bouncy. A vintage perforated butt-shaped implement

seat replaced the original seat. The Wheel Horse springs were discarded. The steering

wheel was raised about 5 in.

The only inconvenience now is having to duck further down under trees. But the baby

buggy ride is a pleasure. Ain't stock but neither am I with plastic eyes, a pacemaker and

other results from 78 years of living.

swamp yankee

:thumbs2:

W9JAB

:thumbs2: Hay Brother, I'm with you on the seat option. The original Wheel Horse seat (red & white flat thing) sits on a shelf in the shed. I kept slipping off the back of it, so I got one with a back rest. The next version will have a taller back rest with arm rest as well! Oh heck maybe I'll just bolt the Lazy-Boy to it. :thumbs: