Pullstart

Cub Cadet LT1050

Pullstart

We all seem to share the common ground on quality standards, that’s why we are on the Wheel Horse Forum!  I have this CC Stamped frame mower here, one of my volunteer homes for Project Evergreen / Green Care for Troops.  This mower runs great, and all things considered, mows very well.  The wife of the Master Sergeant deployed overseas told me something was wrong with the mower, but she didn’t know what exactly.  I told her I’d mow with it, get a feel for things that might need attention, and work on it at home for free, just cost of parts.  One of the main issues was the very slow reverse.  Another, was the deck wouldn’t lift very far in the front.  I think I found the issue.

Both sides of the “frame” are cracked.  The right side, it’s cracked right through.  The left side, is split up the side and up to the horizontal plane.  The reverse is a push rod, which makes the crack wider, which explains the slow reverse.  The low lift is explained because the belly of the frame is extending down to meet the deck.

I have every confidence in welding the cracks and the welds holding.  I have very little confidence in the frame staying put throughout the rest of the chassis.  I thought of a fish plate on the cracks.  I thought of a full 1/8” plate on both sides, stitch welded in place.  All this work is pro-bono.  I have a call in to the wife to see if she wants me to proceed.  I may just end up bringing a Horse with a 36” RD to their house and let them think on the outcome of this mower.

Oh boy, I didn’t think the repairs would be this demanding!

1B0C9A75-B34B-4622-9E91-851C2A79AE6B.jpeg

946F301C-E4CE-4199-8E06-B5C533DA7860.png

98BB4039-C787-4CE2-AC21-494C5E6E6B80.jpeg

8BB2AD53-F53C-4E98-A023-C2B69F5B1AE8.jpeg

06F903B2-4033-4EEE-9037-FE9E6C39B1A6.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

From the rear, you can see the center lean from the forward/center left side split.  It’s not good at all.

C516F975-CAD3-4A7C-90F9-7DAA25DB23B3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

I spoke with the Mrs. on the phone.  She said they picked it up fairly cheap from her FIL and it’s not worth investing in.  I’ll bring a loaner over for the rest of the summer, that I can use and let them decide what to do for next mowing season.  I’ll be getting seat time on a :wh: too, so it’s a win!

• Like 4

WHX??

Too bad looks like a newer style. Parts it out good seat on it. Maybe someone could use the engine. 

• Like 1

Bill D

I picked up a Husqvarna rider last year with help from @Brockport Bill.  It had blown transmission, but I used the engine to repower an '07 Exmark Viking.  Perhaps some of the parts can be be repurposed.

• Like 1

Pullstart

With the owner deployed, I’ll just return it to them for later decision making.  As much as I believe I can make it work (for a while) it’s not worth investing other consumables into it.

• Like 2

ri702bill
1 minute ago, WHX?? said:

Too bad looks like a newer style. Parts it out good seat on it. Maybe someone could use the engine. 

I disagree - it is worth his time to breathe a lit of life into this one. NOT a WH, never will be...... if the fix does not work, move on to parting it......

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

investing other consumables

You mean like cold beers while taking a break from welding ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

ri702bill
15 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

You mean like cold beers while taking a break from welding ?

It helps to cut the taste from the welding smoke - BT,DT......

• Like 1

Pullstart
50 minutes ago, ri702bill said:

I disagree - it is worth his time to breathe a lit of life into this one. NOT a WH, never will be...... if the fix does not work, move on to parting it......

Before I saw this, I made that call as well.  I’m NOT spending any money, or charging any at least.  The fish plate is thicker than the “frame”

I’ll do the same treatment on the other side.

627F5AB6-E9A4-43B1-BBEF-78790ECBA3C1.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Appears pretty accessible... Why not just weld up with a small plate / flat bar along frame and get it rolling for another couple seasons? Something else needed?

Edit - you typed faster than me...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
20 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Appears pretty accessible... Why not just weld up with a small plate / flat bar along frame and get it rolling for another couple seasons? Something else needed?

Edit - you typed faster than me...

Their grass grows VERY SLOW.  I decided it was worth trying for the rest of the season anyway.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Pullstart

Driver’s side done!

I’ve gotta go get my head mechanic daughter from FOOTBALL practice and I’ll get to reassembly and testing!

8599D64C-FC5A-4C8E-BF02-F2B5B58696DE.jpeg

• Like 3

Bill D
55 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

Before I saw this, I made that call as well.  I’m NOT spending any money, or charging any at least.  The fish plate is thicker than the “frame”

I’ll do the same treatment on the other side.

627F5AB6-E9A4-43B1-BBEF-78790ECBA3C1.jpeg

That repair will outlive the tractor.  Very nice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart

My eyecrometer says it’s looking MUCH better too!

314E6A68-AA85-4C51-A650-525B858F2155.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

c-series don

Eyecrometer! I’ve never heard that before! I’m definitely going to add that to my vocabulary! That should be listed in the word of the day thread. Seems like I’ll have so many uses for it in the future! 

Edited by c-series don
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

ri702bill

I'm a-figurin' you had to turn the heat wayyyyy down to keep from burning thru the parent metal.

I think the rear fenders on my 854 are a heavier gauge material than that "frame".

• Like 1

Pullstart
3 hours ago, ri702bill said:

I'm a-figurin' you had to turn the heat wayyyyy down to keep from burning thru the parent metal.

I think the rear fenders on my 854 are a heavier gauge material than that "frame".

I just kept the focus on the fish plate, but my heat was about 2/3 the way up, with a medium feed.  It flowed quite well.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I could use some leveling of the deck practice, but it does what it needs to do again!

F3926678-685F-456F-99E5-49AC1068C9A5.jpeg

AE71F331-F2AA-40DB-8A11-C1BB55CC70A3.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

• Excellent 2

davem1111

Nice work, Kevin, and nice job of documenting your work. I never think about pics or video until after I do something, then... it's too late. :dunno:

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:eusa-clap:

Nice job

Nice program

Nice guy

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

I brought the CC to it’s home today.  The local landscaper had just finished mowing their lawn, so I plan to return in 2 weeks because their lawn grows rather slow.  A black locust tree had fallen in the back yard and she couldn’t start the chainsaw.  I offered to cut and stack it since I had no lawn to cut.  She accepted, but we argued over payment.  Her lovely daughter was playing with her unicorn bubble machine so I suggested to go get the kids ice cream instead of paying me.  I signed up to volunteer and her husband is overseas.  They sacrificed way more than I could!

• Heart 1