Brett Kelly

Speedex Model B Questions

Brett Kelly

Hello. I'm hoping I can find some folks to lean on as I progress through a 41' Speedex Model B restoration. I'm shooting for "as it looked new". This is kind of a gray area as no two Speedex are built the same. They're more like "really close". I managed to find an unrestored model, though the poor thing has been painted at least six different colors. The Briggs ZZ is missing it's tag but I assume it is original to the tractor. The flywheel and mag dates are both 41'. The tractor has what looks to be a really old steering wheel conversion. I admire someone's ingenuity so much that I plan to restore the conversion separately so it can be put on or removed with six bolts and two cotter pins. This leads me to the tiller steering. A Simplicity plow was grafted to the frame at some point but the steering arm welded to the spindle was in the way so it was cut off. I know the height and width dimensions but I don't know the length. Could I trouble someone with a B to measure it for me? Any help would be appreciated.

IMG_20230719_203630489.jpg

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:to the :rs:     If you don't get an answer here, try the Smokestack forum.

Edited by Ed Kennell

Pullstart

Hello, almost neighbor!  It would be cool to see more pictures, and that paint is pretty sweet!

Brett Kelly

I'm usually pretty bad about taking pictures of restorations, but I've taken quite a few of this one. Always wanted a B so I'm trying to document it. I can upload a few after work.

Brett Kelly

This one is from the Marketplace ad.

356218691_5966176616819937_1246110376828688538_n.jpg.d0599cd84b1a0df1615df8e206cf3de5.jpg

A couple more.

IMG_20230719_185759875_HDR.jpg.92db616c3e0d7ab3a405313dea4dbdc1.jpg

IMG_20230719_192813101.jpg.be1539c9d9827b772b9774876165bb66.jpg

• Excellent 2

Brett Kelly

IMG_20230721_201847534.jpg.dedfb37cf0c1541f1413c91fdaa9d520.jpg

Anyone know what this steering box is off of?

IMG_20230721_201837550.jpg.0c264fe7d1bbf779e9330eaa97942ba6.jpg

IMG_20230721_201821472.jpg.61122a10142dde6a543462a3626f43a9.jpg

Brett Kelly

It needs a lot of work, but this is what my free time lives for. You can see the coil went out some time in the past and was changed over to a battery and external coil. Looks like what parked it was a broken intake valve spring. I've rebuilt the carb, replaced the spring, and sourced a rewound coil (ironically from another 41'). Engine runs and sounds good. I figured it would need a rebuild but compression is good. End play is good. No smoke. Oil ring seems good. Looks like maybe just a de-carbon and re-gasket is needed. The drivetrain seems to working as it should.

From what I can tell, the tiller was converted to raise a plow via homebrew linkage. If the plow was not on it, the tiller could be used to raise and lower a rear attachment via (I think) the original steering linkage. The seat setup doesn't appear to be original. I'm kinda liking it though. Appears homemade. If it isn't, somebody has worked it over a bit. It has three positions on it. Straight up, and a left and right lean for when you're one tire in the plow rut.

I'm having trouble finding good pictures of an original rear lift. I believe I have everything for the back but I'm missing an arm on the left side to work everything. I could use some measurements here, or a couple really good pictures to help fabricate. 

The length of the steering arm is needed. I'm sure I could fake it but I'd like duplicate an original if possible.

The biggest issue I see with this tractor is the belt guard half closest to the operator. You can see in the picture that the right side has been cut down for some reason. I'd like to correct this but I've never had much luck welding cast in the past and I no longer have the right equipment to try. I'm contemplating having someone else do this which is weird for me but I have a high confidence that I'll screw it up. 

• Like 1

tractornut86

I have and had several model Bs over the years. Besides the jacked up steering and the seat post it isn't that bad of a tractor.  Mine are literally buried in the building but I may be able to climb back and get photos and measurements if you aren't in a hurry or also there is a Speedex group on Facebook that you could join and there is several on there also. 

Brett Kelly

I appreciate the info. I'm in no hurry. Currently collecting parts and info. This will be this winters project.