Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

Snow Blower

Rogue

I found a 42" Wheel Horse Snow Blower for my c-120 local to me and I'm getting ready to go look at it.

Quite honestly, I don't know what to look for or what to ask.

Any tips before I go?

Thank you in advance for any help you may be :thumbs2:

-R-

nylyon

Snow blowers aren't all that complex. First, check that all the parts are there, pullies, brackets, cables, sprockets,lift tube and flag. If it's complete, check the auger to be sure that it isn't terribly messed up and dinged. Finally, the bearings on the auger and drive shaft. Be sure that there isn't excessive play and that all spins freely.

Good luck, and let us know how you made out!

edit: And check the underside for excessive wear!

Rogue

Thanks for the quick reply :thumbs2: At the risk of sounding stupid, I'm not sure how to check those exactly. I'll give it my best - lol

:thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Check to see if the directional control works. On the ones with cable drive this can be a weakness.

Also look at the welds that fasten the top to the sides. If these break due to hitting something it can cause the chain to de-rail.

And as coach says the "flag" that attaches the lift tube to the lift bellcrank on the tractor is often missing.

None of the above should keep you from buying it, but all will effect how much you should pay!

htopjimmy26

You should also check for a bent auger, just slowly turn the auger by hand with a stationary object close to auger but not touching [soda can, paint can, stake, etc.] and check for wobble as rotates. A bent auger makes the blower vibrate badly and almost unusable, and is very expensive to buy new. Good luck :thumbs2:

Rogue

Thanks for all the replies :thumbs2: I now got the snow blower home for the 2nd time - ha-ha

Poor guy, I think I tortured him. When I got there he had 2 blowers one a 36" and the other a 42". The 36" looked almost new. The 42" looked, well dated. I initially took the 36" and got home started hooking it up to check it out and found that the directional rod hit the pto arm rod... hence, I couldn't turn it to adjust the throw.

Needless to say I went back and got the 42

Gerry w

They use, no kidding, Beet juice, doesn't freeze and won't harm your tires OR the earth.

Rogue

Beet juice, ha-ha. That's awesome. I had just never heard anyone saying to fill the tires with anything other than air. Well, maybe tire flat fixit spray... but I personally won't use that stuff.

WheelHorse_of_course

Rogue,

for what it's worth, I used flat "sash" chain in place of the aircraft cable.

See my thread here:

Blower mod thread

I don't know why the picture links in the above no longer work, so here are links to the photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26014232@N03/3264482150/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26014232@N03/3264481730/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26014232@N03/3264481280/

The trimmer line concept is worth considering as well.

Congrats, you will be a happy camper next winter :thumbs: :thumbs2:

Rogue

That's an awesome idea. Maybe I'll give that a shot. :thumbs2:

thanks

CasualObserver

Rolf, I fixed the links in the other thread. :thumbs2:

Rogue

sorry for the delay on the pics. Got caught up in that 603 and 654.

I ended up torturing this guy (yet again) went back and got the 32" When I looked at the 42" closer and reading some of your advice the auger looked pretty worn and there was some play in the bearings. I'll keep looking for a newer snowblower. Maybe get a 2 Stage Toro/Wheel Horese down the road. But for now I have this one which doesn't appear to have been used. Someone from WV had it and was used twice.

I pulled the model # 6-2211 formerly ST-326 but the information I found is similar but not the same. Subtle but noticable differeces.

What do you guys think this is? Also, do you think this would hold up to 5:1 and how do you guys get the pulleys in line then? Or you don't?

Thanks

st32662211a.jpg

st32662211b.jpg

dscf2444v.jpg

dscf2443.jpg

dscf2442z.jpg

dscf2441s.jpg

dscf2440.jpg

dscf2439s.jpg

TJ

The snow blower looks in great shape. :thumbs2: Did you get the liftbar and flag with it?

When you attach the blower to your tractor, run the belt through the outside groove of your pto pulley; this will allow the belt to clear the front of the hood. The pulleys should align without any adjustment.

Good luck

Tom

Rogue

The snow blower looks in great shape. :thumbs2: Did you get the liftbar and flag with it?

When you attach the blower to your tractor, run the belt through the outside groove of your pto pulley; this will allow the belt to clear the front of the hood. The pulleys should align without any adjustment.

Good luck

Tom

Yes, flag, lift bar and the lift assist.

As for the pulley's Ieverything lines up great 4:1. I was more interested if I could hook up to the 5:1 for more throwing power. If there was a special trick in doing so.

Gerry w

Don't be too worried about snow throwing power with that single stage. I'm in Northern Vermont and I have the same type blower hooked to my 72 Raider14, it throws snow close to 30feet! It will do the job pretty well.

Looks like a good find!

Rogue

Gerry,

20' is a good throw. I'll try it as is 4:1 this winter. I'm a little worried about using it with only 12hp.

Thanks

HorseFixer

Looks like ya got yerself a good one! :thumbs2:

Gerry w

Gerry,

20' is a good throw. I'll try it as is 4:1 this winter. I'm a little worried about using it with only 12hp.

Thanks

The Raider is only a 14hp and my drive is ledge pack and steep, works well. Depending on your drive or what your clearing your 12hp should be fine. Low gear, high rpm, it's fun!

WheelHorse_of_course

My blower does make the 12 HP motor work a bit, but nothing I worry about. Plowing deepish snow can be even harder and it affects the frame and tranny as well as the engine.

:thumbs2:

Rogue

Great news! Thanks Rolf :thumbs2:

Can anyone help me pinpoint what this blower is? As I said above and pictured. It doesn't appear to be the same as the tag that's on it. Unless there was a later model. In which case I don't know where to look.

Thank you in advance for any help you may be. :thumbs: