Sign in to follow this  
citizen100

Commando 800....Simplicity Broadmoor 728

citizen100

Hello,

I am looking to buy a small tractor where I can only justify a small amount of money...say less that $250. Needs are to PULL high school marching band equipment (2 3x7 100lb things + another 100lbs gear...maybe more), not too big to use on my lawn which is only 1/3 acre. Mowing is secondary but helps to justify.

Near me I see for sale 2 commando 800's and one Simplicty Broadmoor 728. Can either of these pull the carts being that they are 7 and 8hp respectively? The Broadmoor looks small (which is good) is the Commando "small"? Can the deck of the wheelhorse come off easily for use with the band?

Thanks for any help you can give me....I am already into 3 years with this band and will have another 8 with my next two boys.

Marco

Attached Image

post-3-1250089132.jpg

jimt1971

Marco,

I have seen that tractor personally (i was picking up another ebay purchase) and it is very clean. It may need a new battery. The deck comes off very quickly and should be good for your purposes.

Jim

Nick

The Commando 800 is a smaller tractor but has plenty power to pull the load. Problem with pulling heavy trailers is more stopping or to much tongue weight.

Jim_M

Having owned both of those models I can tell you that the deck will come off of the Wheel Horse about 5 times easier and faster than the Simplicity.

The Simplicity does a beautiful job mowing though.

citizen100

Thankyou to those who have replied and for the information. Tounge weight should be OK as these are all 4 wheel (close to the corners) trailers (wooden carts really.) On the return trip there is a slight downhill so braking would need to be considered (and at that point I am in the road between field and school.)

Sounds like the wheelhorse will have enough power to pull so is a strong consideration. Also that the deck is easier to remove than the simplicity (thanks Jim) is a plus if we have to travel with the tractor in the over-the-road band trailer itself (6x12 enclosed).

I am concerned about some of the newer box store type tractors as there rated HP and strength of frame may require that I buy a Big one which I do not want to do. Hoping to get away with an older, smaller and stronger one.

There is one commando with a broken drive shifter. i believe it is the one ...oh boy, I cant think of a better description....between your legs. On a human these can not be replaced so easily but are these available for sale or can I let my freind with a welder have at it?

Thanks again

citizen100

Also....what is the difference between the commando 800 and the 800 Special?

WHC-125

Also....what is the difference between the commando 800 and the 800 Special?

A few differences are that the Commando 800 has a 4 speed uni drive transmission and a 8 horse Kohler engine. And the 800 special has a 4 speed peerless transmission with a 8 horse Briggs and Stratton engine.

In my opinion the Commando 800 is plenty of power to tow a trailer/wagon full of band gear.

T-Mo

To muddied the waters even further, there was a 800 which had a 8 hp horizontal Briggs and an Eaton hydrostatic transmission. I believe there was a Workhorse 800 also.