Bob Bauer

5003 Transmission

Bob Bauer

Hello, I’m flushing a 5003 transmission and ran some diesel fluid through there and was wondering if I could just put it up on my parts cleaner and run the fluid through it to do a better job or just stick with the diesel? Don’t want to mess anything up.thanks 

stevasaurus

This really depends on how much gunk is in there.  If there is a lot and it has been in there forever, no amount of flushing is going to really clean it out.  If no body has ever been in it, I'll bet you have some rust (at least from condensation)...flushing will not clean out that.  

It would be better if you took off the brake shaft side plate and took a look.  Then you could see what you've got and maybe running your parts cleaner would be a good option.  Remember, right now you are trying to drain out gunk through a 1/4" hole...not a very efficient way to do things.

BTW, you have a couple of good neighbors near you...maybe they will chime in.   @WHX??  @Achto

• Like 4

Achto
3 hours ago, Bob Bauer said:

wondering if I could just put it up on my parts cleaner and run the fluid through it to do a better job or just stick with the diesel?

Unless you are going to take it apart to do a complete scrub down, I think you would be better to continue with the diesel flush. Put diesel in the tranny, drive it around for 10 to 15 min, drain it, repeat until you are satisfied with it.

Bob Bauer
17 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

This really depends on how much gunk is in there.  If there is a lot and it has been in there forever, no amount of flushing is going to really clean it out.  If no body has ever been in it, I'll bet you have some rust (at least from condensation)...flushing will not clean out that.  

It would be better if you took off the brake shaft side plate and took a look.  Then you could see what you've got and maybe running your parts cleaner would be a good option.  Remember, right now you are trying to drain out gunk through a 1/4" hole...not a very efficient way to do things.

BTW, you have a couple of good neighbors near you...maybe they will chime in.   @WHX??  @Achto

Ok good to know, thanks alot 

• Excellent 1

Bob Bauer
1 hour ago, Achto said:

Unless you are going to take it apart to do a complete scrub down, I think you would be better to continue with the diesel flush. Put diesel in the tranny, drive it around for 10 to 15 min, drain it, repeat until you are satisfied with it.

Thanks 

Handy Don

And please properly dispose of the contaminated diesel! ;)

• Like 1

Pullstart
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

And please properly dispose of the contaminated diesel! ;)

I’m not a blue oval guy, but when I had an ‘01 Power Stroke I filtered many thousand gallons of used oil, fry or automotive, through a 10 micron then 5 micron system and into the truck.  Straight WVO and all, it did great!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1