mort

418-A automatic transmission questions

mort

My 418A will run in forward and backward but mid mount hydraulic lift not working at all. What are possible problems/fixes?

Also it sounds like the forum has suggested putting in 10W 30 Synthetic oil in this automatic transmission.

Should I be concerned about the gasket leaking using synthetic oils? Why not 10W 40 Synthetic instead?

I have never used synthetic oils in anything so I am just curious.

Thanks,

Mort

Ed Kennell
12 hours ago, mort said:

hydraulic lift not working at all

Is the piston not moving?      Is the linkage intact on the control valve lever?

I use 30w Super Tech in all my Eaton 1100s.          .Super Tech Non-Detergent SAE 30W Lubricating Oil, 1 Quart - Walmart.com

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

mort

Piston not moving but valve lever seems fine.

This tractor has been sitting under my decking so there could be some rust but it looks fine.

I didn't see 30W listed in my manual for the automatic transmission oil.

Is there a reason why you use 30W instead of the recommended 10W30 or 10W40?

Thanks,

Mort

lynnmor

You can use whatever 10W-30 you want, I use Castrol High Mileage semi-synthetic for the extra additives.

Ed Kennell
11 hours ago, mort said:

Is there a reason why you use 30W instead of the recommended 10W30 or 10W40?

This oil is used to operate the hydro transmission and hydraulic lift  systems where fluids of a wide range of viscosity (ATF,  hyd jack oil, 10w-30 motor oil.) have been used in many cases.

This same oil is also used to lubricate the differential where a thicker oil (90-140w) is recommended.

I currently have three of the Eaton 1100 transmissions in use.   Most of the hours are mowing duties where the temps are 70-90F.

During the winter months, the snow machines are kept in a heated garage so there are no cold starts.

BTW, two of the Eaton 1100s pump immediately and one requires a warm up before pumping.    Wheel Horse recommends a warm up of all Eatons before using.

I just feel the 30w is better for the differential gears, seals, and bearings and I see no ill effects to the hydraulic pumps.

• Like 1

mort
33 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

This oil is used to operate the hydro transmission and hydraulic lift  systems where fluids of a wide range of viscosity (ATF,  hyd jack oil, 10w-30 motor oil.) have been used in many cases.

This same oil is also used to lubricate the differential where a thicker oil (90-140w) is recommended.

I currently have three of the Eaton 1100 transmissions in use.   Most of the hours are mowing duties where the temps are 70-90F.

During the winter months, the snow machines are kept in a heated garage so there are no cold starts.

BTW, two of the Eaton 1100s pump immediately and one requires a warm up before pumping.    Wheel Horse recommends a warm up of all Eatons before using.

I just feel the 30w is better for the differential gears, seals, and bearings and I see no ill effects to the hydraulic pumps.

Thanks! Maybe I need a warm up for the hydraulic lift to run. I have only used a 310-8 and a 416-8 so I don't have any experience at all with automatic transmissions. 

Thanks,

Mort

mort
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

You can use whatever 10W-30 you want, I use Castrol High Mileage semi-synthetic for the extra additives.

Just read about that Castrol oil. Looks like good stuff. I bought high mileage Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic last week but maybe I should return it for Castrol. I like the conditioner idea for leaks. I do have something leaking.

Thanks,

Mort 

c-series don

@mort I don’t believe you have fixed the lift problem? Does it make noise when you move the lift lever? Is the cylinder moving at all?